The Fallback Friend | Teen Ink

The Fallback Friend

November 4, 2008
By Jenna Turow BRONZE, Sea Cliff, New York
Jenna Turow BRONZE, Sea Cliff, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

You know, I’ve been holding back saying everything I’m about to say because I’ve been afraid that I’m going to lose you. But I realized that I’ve already lost you. You’re not the best friend that you used to be to me. Not since last year when you decided all of a sudden that I wasn’t good enough for you and you needed to be friends with a person who can make you “cooler” or whatever it was you wanted to be. But you know what? It’s all in your mind. How can you not see that by ditching all of the people who really care about you for this one girl that you think is “cool” is making your life miserable? No one is ruining your life but you.
I’m done being the friend that you only come to when you feel insecure about your social status. I’m done being the one you complain to but wouldn’t dare care about what is going on in my life. The truth is that I really cared about your life. You were always pretty, fun, and interesting to me and you never had to act a certain way to get me to think that. But I’m not going to wait forever for you to realize what you lost.
I am finally gaining some self respect as you always used to tell me to do. Go, and do what you need to do in order to feel like you’re worth something. But just remember that you were always worth something to me. And whether you want to admit it or not, I’m not worth a thing to you anymore. Realize that you hurt a person who really and truly cared about you. But I know that I’m going to be okay. I have other people who I know love me and will be there for me just as I am there for them. You, on the other hand, will spend your time social climbing and trying to achieve a goal for yourself that’s just not possible.
I can tell you this: I will always miss the person who you used to be. I will always miss my best friend. But that’s not who you are anymore, so good bye and good luck, because I’m finally done with feeling sad about you.
…Yeah. That’s what I’m going to tell her the next time I see her.

The author's comments:
This monologue is based on an experience in my life. I feel a lot of people my age might relate to the situation presented in the monologue.