Drip Drip Drip | Teen Ink

Drip Drip Drip

By ThomasB9 BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts
ThomasB9 BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts

Drip-drip…drip-drip…drip-drip. You think to yourself: “I’ll get that leak tomorrow. It’s so small, it won’t waste any water.” Unfortunately, the unfortunate truth is, it will. This is just a single way, out of many, that people waste water every day. The good news is we can stop this, if we work together. There are a number of ways to not waste and, even better, to save water. If everyone takes part, we will make a big difference.

One way not to waste water is to fix leaks as soon as you notice them. It’s as simple as some duct tape or, if the sink isn’t off all the way, turn it off! A small leak left overnight can waste up to 80 gallons of water. Another big water waster is leaving the sink on while you brush your teeth. That water isn’t doing anyone any good going down the drain. You know what else isn’t doing anyone any good, washing your car by hand. You can save over 100 gallons of water if you go to the car wash, and get a more thorough job too. Back to the bathroom. Let’s say you’re sick, and you blow your nose. Don’t use the toilet as a waste bin. Put the tissue in the trash or flush it down the next time you really need to flush. If you do all these things you can keep from wasting thousands of gallons of water per year.

If you really want to make a difference, you can do even more. If you save water you can make a huge impact. In the kitchen there are plenty of ways to save water. If you have a small after-dinner cleanup, fill a basin with soapy water instead of washing dishes by hand under running water or using the dishwasher. However, sometimes you will have a big cleanup and you’ll need to use the dishwasher. Make sure it’s filled to maximum capacity to get the most out of every drop of water. The same goes for the washing machine. Fill it all the way to get the biggest bang for your buck. Another tip in the laundry room: front-load washers use 40% less water than top-load ones.

From the laundry room to the bathroom. There are lots of ways to save water here. If you put closed jars of water or a brick into your toilet tank, there will be smaller amounts of water flushed down with every use. You can also use low-flow toilets, showerheads, and sink spigots. All of these things will remove large fractions of your water usage and your water bill.

To decrease your bill even further, take the activity outside. Collect rain water for your garden and save hundreds of gallons per year. Make sure you water only at dawn or dusk, because during the day more water evaporates and that does you no good. What will “do you good” is sweeping your patio instead of hosing it down. It does just as good a job without wasting the water.

If we work together we can stop wasting water and start saving water. Whether keeping the sink off while you brush your teeth, or using a front-load washer, it all helps. Now get out there and help improve the world. You’ll be saving far more than just a few dollars.

"Water is the only drink for a wise man."
~Henry David Thoreau

Words to live by.