Take This World and Make It Yours | Teen Ink

Take This World and Make It Yours

November 8, 2007
By Anonymous

Everyone’s got only one life to live, why not live it with music? Numerous people have bonded themselves with a band in some way, shape or form, whether they’re the artistic masterminds of the music, or just an adoring fan. Being in a band these days is quite a frequent occurrence. About every fourth person has been, currently is, or will be in a band. The majority of people are clueless concerning the ordeal and effort it really takes in the music making process, and most people won’t know the ordeal prior to making music themselves. Fortunately for me, rhythms always poured from my mind through my impatient hands, tapping beats while I hymned rhythms wherever I may be. It was from this that my hungry for playing music molded itself to life. Instead of caging the rhythms in my mind, I wanted to take the option of showcasing them for everyone to hear. That’s the wonderful thing about music, no matter what genre style; it’s an outlet of self expression. We all listen and relate to music day to day of our daily lives, and that’s the reason why I love making music with my band End State.
Attraction towards music appeared late in my life. Music always appeared to me as being strictly for the adult world. Around seventh grade, after watching “School of Rock” was when my realization of not having to be an adult reared its face. An open doorway presented itself to me and instantly my attention was set upon the world of music. Catching on to my new goal of drums, my parent simultaneously signed me up for lessons. Finally, I was on my way to being a musician.
A friend of mine, Shawn, had talked with me before about forming a band. It hadn’t morphed into a serious thought until our eighth grade year, when we had formed a band. At first, instead of toying in the region of construction music, we fiddled about with our band name, but all name had seen varies lengthen lives. When ever we attempted to collaborate with songs, we tended to stray away from our designated instruments. An urge for guitar entered my veins, while Shawn leaned towards drums. Over time we eventually become so use to the others instrument, we officially decided on a change.
Before we actually started our instrument spry, we pondered on what genre we’d prefer and figured it didn’t much matter. Both of us still lessons-less and next to clueless of our instruments, searched for a vocalist. Suggestion of me being temporary singer was agreed to with Shawn and me. Within the week, Shawn approached me with some lyrics for our first song, Everybody’s Changing. With my added words we literally conjured up a song within minutes. Across the room we placed a camera and improved “Everybody’s Changing”. Ever since then it has been played the exact same way, with its four cords and fast paced drumming. In all honesty it’s not a well constructed song in the least. At the time, we found absolutely amazing.
People told us the next day they liked the song, but it came across to me as though they felt obligated as to say so. In ways I felt almost embarrassed about our song. Our knowledge of how to handle our instruments and create a song seemed lacking. Discussions with Shawn had ended up with an agreement for lessons before an attempt for a next song. Naturally, with lessons on our hinds, our next song was slightly more polished.
A little before our first show we changed our name officially to End State. With lessons and months on top of months of practicing together, we recorded our first E.P. with my two-hundred and fifty dollar instrument mixer. The E.P. entitled “So Serious, It’s A Joke” consisted of nine tracks which we released at a show we played at Shawn’s house on September 8th, 2006. While quality wasn’t great and cost us virtually nothing to record, we sold them for five dollars. Little while after, two members of the band came within our mist. Dillon who helped record Dillon’s Song (hence the name) had become our bassist with Andrew vocalists along side me. With a now full band, process of our second E.P commenced.
Over the course of months, we worked on new materiel. Numerous songs in the end were decided not to be on the second E.P. While originally intending on six tracks, we ended up having only four tracks. September 1st, 6:00 p.m. of 2007, Linear Sounds Recording Studio granted us usage of there equipment to record our second E.P. entitled “Under Educated Children”. The first two tracks were recorded with Shawn on synth, Dillon on guitar, Andrew singing and bass and my drumming. “Gaining Disappointment Weight” is a rehash of one of previously recorded songs. “Ice-cream”, track two, is completely instrumental. With “Dr. Egg Timer”, track number three, everyone was on their designated instruments; me singing and guitarist, Shawn on drums, and Dillon on bass. Track number four, “Chewowa Mexico”, is Andrew singing in place of me while instruments in right order. After five hours of recording, we had finished our second E.P. with a production cost of $112.50 to record, and this time around we handed the CD’s out free. Guaranteed for more music, cause it’s a great pass time and a blast of fun.
Music is a gateway for feeling free, it has no boundaries. Problems lie with the studios who look only for certain styles instead of the whole picture. Our parent’s generation had the closes to music freedom then it seems we will ever have. Not that our generation of music doesn’t have freedom because everyone’s free to make whatever they please, which they do. It’s just that our generation has molded into mainly two genres, hip/hop and alternative rock. Originality is hard to find, but that’s only if you’re not searching. Personally, I think we’ve lost our sights on finding the horizon; we only grab what’s easiest to get and what’s already in front of us and stay put, on the dock. End State to me is getting of that dock, and finding that horizon. To take this world, and make it ours!