75 Years And Counting | Teen Ink

75 Years And Counting MAG

75 Years and Counting: Red Sox Season in Review

by S. N., Portland, ME

It's the same old story. They get your hopes up and they let you down. This Red Sox season has seen many new faces: Fletcher, Dawson, and Russell. This was the season where the Hit Dog (Mo Vaughn) was king and Greg Harris continued to amaze. Where newcomers Aaron Sele and Scott Cooper took control, and with Mike Greenwell coming off an injury, beating the odds, and having one of his best years yet.

At the beginning of the season no one knew what to expect. The team (much like the Phillies) seemed to be compiled of a bunch of cast-offs and misfits. After a horrid pre-season, something clicked, and the Red Sox started the season as though they were being shot out of a cannon, winning three games in a row and taking sole possession of first place. They never looked back. They kept their lead until early June, but by the 21st they were 13 games out. They had stopped hitting. Worse than that, Roger Clemens was gone for a month with an arm injury. The stage was set for Aaron Sele, a no-name from Pawtucket, who was brought up and started by winning five straight games. The Red Sox hitting started and they won 11 in a row, propelling them back into the hunt. By mid-July they were in sole possession of first place. You knew by then that this was too good to be true. Roger came back and for his first two starts looked brilliant. I don't have to tell you what happened next. Clemens and the Red Sox started losing. By late August they were six games out and they had lost their hitting (again). No matter how much you wanted to deny it, the Red Sox were finished by September.

When next April rolls around I will be ready, full of hope. I know a few things for sure. The Hit Dog will rise again; Greg Harris will never get old and Roger Clemens will be back stronger than ever.

In closing I would like to say good luck to Tony Pena, wherever he ends up. Tony is one of the last true ballplayers of our time.