Strength When We Want To Fall | Teen Ink

Strength When We Want To Fall

A log cabin, a fire and a lake. It was a perfect summer trip. Sure, I was the only girl there, but these family friends were almost like my family. I knew them so well. After our arrival to the cabin, I went down by the lake to sit down. I sat next to my mom’s friend Peggy. We were the only ones down there; everyone else was up by the table eating. I really didn’t know her that well; I only knew her kids. But our conversation came with such ease. She began talking to me about her husband: how they met, and what she wanted to do in the future. She had amazing stories and incredible experience in her life that she even wanted to write a book. This woman had such motivation and she had such a love for her life. While she talked to me, I wished I could be just like her. No fear for failure, just hope for the future.

Unfortunately, a few months later, Peggy’s husband passed away. I remember sitting in the pew and watching her walk down the aisle with her daughter and her son on either side of her. Tears fell down her face but she had such a look of courage. I couldn’t understand how she could be so brave in such a time of tragedy. I really didn’t want to go up and pay my respects because I was nervous I would say something wrong. My dad made me go up, of course. I must have looked petrified because everyone was crying and distressed, and I was extremely uncomfortable. But, when I walked up to her, she looked me right in the eye, smiled, and said, “We all must be strong right now.” I went home later and thought about that moment for a long time.

The way I interpreted what she said was we all have to be strong every day, not just when we need to be. Others depend on us for stability, whether we know it or not. I don’t think I will ever be as strong as Peggy, but whenever I feel as if I’m spiraling downward, I think about her situation. Her husband had passed away, the love of her life, yet she could still smile and tell me what needed to be done. I just hope that one day, I can move someone the way she moved me. We can’t let an unfortunate event bring us down. This is our life; we don’t have time to fall, even though we may sometimes. We just can’t linger on it too long. She made me realize I have the power to bring myself up and no one else does. She brought herself up when it was unbelievably hard to do. I thank her for the influence her actions have had on the way I act now.