Everything Is Not What It Seems | Teen Ink

Everything Is Not What It Seems

June 12, 2009
By marleighxo6 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
marleighxo6 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
11 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
To me, “FEARLESS” is not the absence of fear. It’s not being completely unafraid. To me, FEARLESS is having fears. FEARLESS is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, FEARLESS is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.

- Taylor Swift


Attention hungry. Already I'm infamous, but what will it take to become a legend? Already people know my name, but its for all the wrong reasons. The stares and glares I receive aren't enough, according to stupid people that are applying such menacing pressure.
I saw him in the hallway today. The boy who almost ruined his life and mine, although I'll admit he did not achieve this state single- handedly. It feels almost routine that whenever I catch sight of him throughout the course of my day, I try to not make eye contact with him. If by accident this happens, my response is to give him a disgusted look. What I did was bad, but what he did was equally awful, if not worse.
I bet you're wondering what happened to me. If I tell you, you'd better keep it a secret. I'm that girl that you saw on every news channel. That girl that was only asking for help from an authority figure who ended up calling the police. I walked through the halls of my school, head down, hair covering my eyes, so I didn't have to see anybody. My face was burning because of the blush that had crept up my cheeks. I could feel the stares of everybody in the hallway as people stopped to whisper and point. News vans were parked outside of my school, trying to get kids to talk to them. Only my real friends said "No comment" and walked away. Others, without hesitation, gave my name directly to the reporters so they could write it down. Meanwhile, he didn't help me avoid such trouble. I'll admit I made a poor decision doing what he asked me to do. If he wasn't so darn cute I would have been able to make a decision that wasn't against my better judgment.
I wish I could take back every kind word that I ever uttered to him. If only he would leave me alone for good, which includes staying out of my thoughts and dreams. I want those love songs to stop taunting me and reminding me of what used to be. He wasn't there for me when I needed him to defend me. It's funny how everybody sided with him and against me, even though both our ugly parts in this story were played beautifully.
It's been a few months now since i decided that I hated him. I've stopped being paranoid over every little whisper and I've grown accustomed to not having as many friends since then. To some people, I'm known as the embarrassment of the town. Whenever I hear those songs I leave. Sometimes being in the public eye can be a good thing, but in my case it happened to be the reciprocal of good.
You know the old saying "Every cloud has a silver lining?" You better start believing it. Even though that week of my life was by far the absolute worst, I learned some very valuable life lessons. Never give in to peer pressure. The whole world doesn't revolve around you. You find out who your true friends are when your life goes from bad to worse.
Everything that I just told you was 100% accurate and totally true. You don't want to get wrapped up into a similar scenario. Trust me. But in order for that not to happen, you have to start respecting yourself before you can start understanding and loving others while staying out of trouble. It's not hard at all to do, as long as you can trust yourself.


The author's comments:
A few months ago, something awful happened to me and this boy that I used to like. We became the laughingstocks of the town, but we both soon learned that the whole world doesn't revolve around us. People eventually got over the excitement, and things have died down, but I will never forget what happened to me.