152 | Teen Ink

152

Walking around the plane holding a small laminated checklist with a whiteboard marker. Slowly going over every check starting by turning on the master switch dropping the flaps to 40° and flipping the 5 switches for the lights slowly walking around the plane I am looking for any dents on the wings, missing screws, tires and tread is good, and to check to see if all the lights are working. We’d then climb into the plane, open the window and yell out “Clear Prop”. Turning on the master switch again we would lift up the flaps to 0°, push the mixture all the way until it is rich,  push our feet down onto the petal breaks, keep our hands on the throttle then turn the key to the right to start the plane. Turning on avionics I turn the radio to 118.875. Listening to the ATIS noting down the weather and time I then switch the radio back down to 121.60 to contact the ground. I then contact ground saying,
“Waukesha Ground, Cessna 5389Q At south tie downs, taxi to Runway 28 with Information Zulu”
“5389Q Taxi via Bravo, Delta, cross Runway 18, Foxtrot. Contact tower on arrival.”
Jotting everything down he said in my notebook I repeated,
“Taxi via Bravo, Delta, cross Runway 18, Foxtrot, 89Q.”

Slowly pushing in the throttle the plane inches forward taxing down delta crossing the runway then making it up to foxtrot. Knowing the weather I turn the plane into the wind at 220° then I inch forward to straighten out the nose. Pushing down hard onto the breaks I slowly bring the throttle and RPMs up to seventeen hundred. Turning the key to the left and right magnetos I look for a small RPM drop in each. I put the key back to both and pull out the carb heat, I look for another drop, put it back in, and idle the plane. I then turn the radio to 123.70 then push in the power to turn the plane out of the wind and back lined up on the taxiway. Holding short of the runway I then contacted the tower.
“Waukesha Tower Cessna 5389Q Holding short of runway 28.”
“5389Q  Cleared for Runway 28.”
“Cleared for runway 28” I repeated

Rolling the plane out to the middle of the runway I push in the power all the way then let my feet off of the rudder pedals, using the lightest taps on the petals I use to keep the plane in the center. Reaching 55 knots I then pull back on the yoke. Pulling off of the runway we keep a steady rate of about 70 knots during climbing. Reaching that sixteen hundred mark we start to do a clearing turn into the north. Keeping that climb all the way to three thousand feet coasting through the air miles away from home.

Heading back into the county about ten miles out we would call into a tower telling them where we are and what we are doing. They then clear us into the airspace and allow us to cross into the downwind on the left. As we are going downwind listening to the tower we keep slowing down. Passing the numbers to the right of us we then pull out the carb heat, lower the flaps to 10°  and bring down the throttle to seventeen hundred. From here it is just a big coast down to base and final. Tower then contacts us, approving our final turns clearing us for the option. Turning onto final we drop down to 20° of flaps keeping that five hundred feet per minute descent, then turning onto final we drop the last bit of flaps and allow the plane to coast down. Pushing the yoke down to get rid of some of the lift we are getting closer and closer to the ground. About fifteen feet above the ground we then slowly bring out the power then let the plane coast down, five feet above the ground we then flare by pulling back on the yoke that will bring our speed down and keeping our nose up for the back two wheels to hit the ground. With our nose up and our back two wheels on the ground we slowly lower the nose then apply the brakes to pull off the runway.