“My Name” | Teen Ink

“My Name”

By 3klubertanz GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
3klubertanz GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin

My name is Owen. The name Owen comes from the Welsh origin meaning “young warrior”, “well-born”, or “nobleman”. 

It symbolizes determination, strong will, the passion for what you love, the everlasting urge to push forward. Like a tree, growing in a desert. Like a single warrior, fighting an entire army, because he wants to. Pushing himself to the limit, just because he can. He will continue to fight. 

Owen is like a kingdom. Lively and vibrant, filled with creatures of all kinds. Owen is a King, a nobleman. A figure of importance who inspires others. Owen is the ending moment of a memorable day

But I think about the idea of fate or destiny. 

My life from the very beginning was a fight. I was born 12 weeks too soon. “Severely underdeveloped,” they said. I spent a long time in the newborn intensive care unit. But my baby heart kept fighting on. Pushing as hard as it could, with an undying persistence. 

I still fight today. I keep going at it like the “young warrior” my name suggests I am. 

At this present time, I have to battle with time management and my sleep schedule. To keep a social balance, I have work as well as many college-level classes right now. I have always been in advanced science and math classes my entire life and I keep pushing no matter how bad I do on a quiz or test, no matter how hard the topic is. I have always been in advanced science and math classes my entire life and I keep pushing no matter how bad I do on a quiz or test, no matter how hard the topic is, working 25 hours a week on top of studying for tests and quizzes. But I keep fighting. 

I like my name. It exemplifies who I am. Owen. The well-born nobleman, the passionate, determined, young warrior who will stop at nothing to push forward through challenge and adversity.