what i believe in | Teen Ink

what i believe in

By nataly rodriguez BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts
nataly rodriguez BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts

Growing up I could only listen to what my mother told me, I had to believe in what she said and what she had said was the right thing to do. As I grow into and adult, I choose to believe in how you have to trust yourself, trust in fat and trust around you. I have grown into a transcendentalist.
As a transcendentalist Emerson believed in the beauty of nature as do I, Emerson had said “Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.” (Amer. lit., 222) This quote says that every person needs to trust them selves in order to take things by fate. What it means to trust yourself to me means that you need to know what you’re doing in order to know were your going in life and can take things by storm and follow your heart. I can honestly say that I do trust my self because I go with my gut instinct; I say the first thing that pops into my head.
One of my other beliefs is in Fate that everything happens for a reason, I have trust in God, Fate, and myself.
Another person who was a transcendentalist was Henry David Thoreau. Thoreau had said, “However mean your life is meet it and live it; do not shun it or call it hard names.” (Amer. Lit., 240) This quote I would have to say means trust you, trust what you believe and take the world by storm. This quote also means that you should live how you want, and what ever happens, happens make no regrets. Thoreau Made a trip to live in the woods by himself with no civilization to see what its like, “I left the woods for as good as reason as I went there. Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time on that one.” (Amer. Lit., 239) Thoreau is again here saying that he wants to live his life his way by doing what he wanted through going to the woods and seeing or meeting the meaning of life. I think that’s what he meant when he said the “how ever mean your life” quote.

Another transcendentalist was Walt Whitman, when he wrote, he wrote about what he believed in. In one of his poems, When I heard the learn’d astronomer, it showed me that he liked to learn about astronomy but by going out and learning about it that way. “How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick.” (Amer. Lit. 355) It seems that he doesn’t really like the idea of learning in a studying way but that he would rather look at the stars and study them instead of looking at books, “And from time to time, look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.” (Amer. Lit., 355) This is how he felt after he had gotten out of the lecture hall after “becoming sick.” Whitman would rather do everything himself in a somewhat stubborn way, as do I, I am a stubborn person and really would rather do everything myself.
As a transcendentalist like the men above I honestly believe in Fate, trust in yourself and trust around you. I also believe that Fate runs our lives and that every thing happens for a reason. I also believe in nature and all it’s beauty.