The Walk | Teen Ink

The Walk

January 24, 2019
By Spencerf BRONZE, 56470, Minnesota
Spencerf BRONZE, 56470, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The time was 1959 and Hawaii had just become the 50th state. Previously, Alaska had become the 49th state that same year. Cars were just getting three pointed seatbelts in them, like the ones we use today (“What happened in 1995”). The 1959 world series for baseball happened, with the Los Angeles Dodgers beating the Chicago White Sox (“What happened in 1995”). The Pioneer 4 spacecraft launched, being the first US spacecraft to exit earth’s orbit. Lunar 2 also launched and became the first US spacecraft to reach the moon. In the US the unemployment rate reached a high of 1.4 million (Pearson). Iran and the US signed an economic and military treaty (“Historical Events”). In an article that Fin Sollie wrote, it talks about how in 1959 there was a treaty written between many countries. In this treaty it was said that Antarctica would be used for peaceful scientific research and was banned from having nuclear testing (Sollie). 1959 was an eventful year and there would be even more events to come.

In the winter of 1959 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Mary was fifteen years old. The air was cold and it had just snowed, covering everything in a blanket of silence. Mary woke up in the morning very early, because if she didn’t, her two sisters would take up all  the time in the small bathroom they all shared. She didn’t mind waking up early because everything was quiet and peaceful during this time.

“Jean, Karen, we have to go!” Mary shouted from downstairs.

“I know Mary, we are coming!” Jean shouted back.

Finally they all left out the door and headed to school. School was a mile and a half away from the girl’s home.  Walking in the street, Mary noticed the huge elm trees covered in snow.

When walking to school the sisters always walked with a group of  girls from their neighborhood. Mary would always walk with the younger girls. Mary and her sisters were running late that day, and when they got to the group the younger girls were crying.

“What’s wrong?” asked Mary.

“We thought you weren’t coming.” said the younger girls, wiping away tears.

“Don't worry we were just running late. Now come on we are going to be late for school.”

At school Mary learned about Hawaii and Alaska becoming part of the United States of America. While walking down the hall she overheard a group of guys talking about the baseball world series,  but she didn't care to listen because she hated baseball. She just thought it was boring to watch.

After school all the girls ran home to watch the Pioneer 4 launch into space. Watching the spaceship take off was mesmerizing. The girls then agreed to meet at Thielen Park to go ice skating. The park was only a few blocks from their neighborhood. Right next to the park was Lake Thielen which the girls skated on almost every day.  Mary promised that she would meet with the younger girls and walk with them to the park. Mary didn’t realize but the younger girls looked up to her. She babysat most of the girls and had a strong connection with all of them. This time Mary made sure she wasn't late picking them up.

Mary didn't know it at the time, but the younger girls looked up to her as a role model. She was always there for the girls, and helped them with anything they needed. She impacted their lives and didn't even know it. Every once in a while she would look back at the moment where the girls were crying and think about how much the girls meant to her. She learned something about that day, and it was that even the little things in life like running late can affect not just your own life but others too.            


 


The author's comments:

This piece is about my grandmother and a time of her childhood.