Against Me | Teen Ink

Against Me

April 16, 2009
By MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.


I am an American. Ok, I guess you could say I am African-American. But wouldn't it be great if the word African didn't matter? Once, when I was six years old, a man came up to me. To be exact, a white man came up to me and told me that I needed to go to Africa. I didn't answer, I was afraid. Afraid that everyone around me was like that against African-Americans.

"What, you don't speak English? Well then you really should go back to your country you N****!"

And even to this day I never forgot that day. I was hurt. I felt that I couldn't trust any white person again. But then I realized something.

* It doesn't matter if you are black, white, asian, gay, straight, fat, skinny... What matters is what is inside.


The author's comments:
I really put a lot of time in this piece because I was heartfelt and I thought everyone in my school and community should know how it feels to be treated different because there color of their skin. Because I am an American.

P.S. The picture to me shows that we are all different but we CAN all work together... as a family of Americans.