Against Me | Teen Ink

Against Me

By MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

I am an American. Ok, I guess you could say I am African-American. But wouldn't it be great if the word African didn't matter? Once, when I was six years old, a man came up to me. To be exact, a white man came up to me and told me that I needed to go to Africa. I didn't answer, I was afraid. Afraid that everyone around me was like that against African-Americans.

"What, you don't speak English? Well then you really should go back to your country you N****!"

And even to this day I never forgot that day. I was hurt. I felt that I couldn't trust any white person again. But then I realized something.

* It doesn't matter if you are black, white, asian, gay, straight, fat, skinny... What matters is what is inside.

I really put a lot of time in this piece because I was heartfelt and I thought everyone in my school and community should know how it feels to be treated different because there color of their skin. Because I am an American.

P.S. The picture to me shows that we are all different but we CAN all work together... as a family of Americans.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

I am so sorry that you had that experience, but it is great that you were able to draw strength and personal belief from it :)