Closed Minds | Teen Ink

Closed Minds

January 25, 2016
By mynameisrandy GOLD, Heber City, Utah
mynameisrandy GOLD, Heber City, Utah
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is messy. It's not a line. It's not a series of climaxes. It can't be graphed.


Yes. We are teenagers. Most, attached to our phones. But this little piece of our lives isn’t all we own. Nor is it all we care about, or does it hold all we know. We aren’t all the problems this world has in whole. We don’t cause the wars or the droughts or the hunger. We see what you do, looking disgraced. But how can you do that when you don’t see our plates. Full of school, and work, and passion, and strife. Within our friends and our families you don’t see the struggles. You don’t live our lives.  And yes this is all coming from a teenager’s mind, but I have things to say, and I sure am going to say them. So when you see me glancing down don’t think I’m throwing it all away. I’m learning every day. I’m finding inspiration and this is just one way. So don’t jump to the conclusion that I’m holding my social life. Don’t think that my brain’s slowly starting to die. Because the most dead minds are the ones that are closed, don’t care to see what is inside of my phone. All the good it can do, all the ways I am growing, all my words in my notes, or all my pictures telling stories. This one little thing isn’t the world’s problem. The problem is the minds that are here to criticize, that are closed to something that they can’t see, don’t try to learn of what’s just out the door, when it’s so much more comfortable sitting there in a throne. Leaving the world’s problems for us to solve then telling us that we aren’t experienced enough. Blaming us for the problems isn’t going to solve them. We aren’t going to solve them until we give everyone a voice, because the ones hiding behind their phones are the ones that are too scared to change the world because of the things that they’ve been told. So get off of your throne, get down from your horse and come listen to us and our words will jolt. Jolt you and your thoughts, throwing them out the window, because what’s in our brains will open your eyes to a world that you have been to ignorant to find. So when you see me scrolling through my Instagram and Twitter, just think that I may not be ruining the future.