Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

December 27, 2015
By Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas
Thewritehands SILVER, Tyler, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission! -Unknown-


Friends are flowers. You have your perennials, who come back year, after year, if cared for properly. Your annuals, they are those one time friends. Then, evergreens, they will never leave you, they stand beside you, strong and sturdy, only if you care for them properly. If you have a garden, you have a bigger responsibility to keep out the weeds, and to water each one. The healthier your garden, the longer they stay, but we get lazy, right? We get swept up in the everyday mess, and we forget that garden. Well, we remember it real well when you need something. Right? Then, we start assuming.

We assume everything is fine. To lessen the guilt.
We assume they will be there.
We assume the weeds that begin to grow, aren't really a problem.
"I'm too tierd."
"They're fine."
"I'm too busy."
"But, I have school/work"
Stop assuming. If you want to assume.
Always assume that the world is ending, or today is the last day to talk to that person because it just might be.
Always assume you won't get to see that person tomorrow. Because, something may happen, and they will not be there tomorrow.
Always assume they are not fine.
Always assume that they won't be there
When we start to assume is when the real issues begin. When our garden of friends start to wither and die. When other people come in and take them. OR, trample on them.
When we assume the wrong things, is when we begin to neglect the garden.
God gave us this garden of friends for a reason. They are not simple a collection of pretty objects. He gave us people that need to be lifted up, people to test us, and people who lift you up.
We live in an age of Technology. These little devices that feed off satellite signals were designed to make communication EASIER! The cell phone is a transported communications device that has the option to send texts. It doesn't take long. Send a group text, a quick bible verse, or simply ask, "how are you?"
If have a friend who texts first, don't wait for them, beat them to it, and see how they are.
"But, I have school."
But, you have breaks, right? You don't slave away all day... Do you? 
"But, I'm busy."
Have you not been listening to me? WE LIVE IN AN AGE OF TECHNOLOGY! A two year old could send a text message or even call Timbuktu! 
"I have work."
Um... Again, you have breaks.
See all these are excuses, I have a hard time believing you work 40 hours straight, I have a hard time believing there isn't a moment in your day, that is a calm spot, that you can text your friends just to see how they are. TECHNOLOGY WAS INVENTED TO MAKE COMMUNICATION EASIER!

Stop Assuming, you have time to text a person. Don't assume anyone is ok.
When we assume the worst, or just that they are ok, or busy, or whatever it is you tell yourself to get out of talking to someone, is when we lose a flower.