Self-Esteem | Teen Ink

Self-Esteem

By afterglow SILVER, Griffith, Indiana
afterglow SILVER, Griffith, Indiana

"When you see a mountain do you see a challenge, or a change of heart?"- me, 2010

Why is it that the majority of today's commercials are about beauty products, clothing or some new and improved zit-creame? And why is it that so many of todays teens and young girls are finding it so hard to be comfortable in their own skin? In a world where perfect bodies and amazing teeth and hair are supposed to be the "norm" where do the everyday people fit into society? More and more often people young girls are finding themselves having to go the the mall to buy the cutest tops or go get the latest hair style but for what? So they can fit in for all of two weeks and then go out and do it again? Society is putting way to much pressure on young women today to fit in and look perfect. We have a twisted view now that to be beautiful we must have straight teeth, long blonde hair, nice shaved legs, and those great flat abs everyone's been dying to get. But who says we can't be beautiful in a red t-shirt, flip flops, and a pair of cut-off shorts? The world has formed a view of a perfect woman and if your not it, they will do anything to try and make you conform. Why do you think they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually on advertising to get you to buy the cutest heels or get the hottest hair cut or to get that solitary, tiny pimple off your otherwise pretty face? They want nothing more than to make you wish you were someone you aren't. But you don't have to listen to them screaming at you, "Be like us, Be one of us! Don't be yourself!" All you have to do is stand in front of the mirror and say, "I am beautiful without the latest fashion trend!"