The American Dream Met | Teen Ink

The American Dream Met

The American Dream Met

Some say that the American Dream comes from the pursuit of material prosperity. Like working more hours to get bigger cars, fancier homes, and tuition for their children’s college funds. Others say that the American Dream goes beyond the mindset of the working poor having to work two jobs to insure their family’s survival. Yet others look toward a new American Dream with less focus on financial gain and more emphasis on living a simple, fulfilling life. But with the 2008 presidential elections coming up, the American Dream has been met. We finally see change being made, the first ever female and African-American as front-runners. Some said that this day would never come, but we chose to prove them wrong. More young people are turning out to vote because of the internet and because of websites such as youtube, myspace, and facebook.

Traditionally, Americans have sought to realize the American Dream of success, fame and wealth through the thrift of hard work. However, the industrialization of the 20th century began to demoralize that dream, replacing it with a philosophy of get rich quick. A variety of seductive but elusive strategies have evolved, and today the two leading ways to instant wealth are large-prize television game shows and big jackpot lotteries. Many Americans are persuaded to seek these easy ways to their dream without realizing how hard it is to get to a certain position in life. That’s why many of us fail once we get out there in the real world, because were ill-prepared and expect only the best outcome. But that is just the underground of the situation. There are two people who represent not only a dream ticket, but the American dream. Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama fought hard for their position and stance for noble office. Even though one initially supported the war and the other didn’t, there is still presumably the fact that change is ready to be made.

People want to have a successful career, have a nice house and car, be married and have kids. This is the average American Dream amongst a vast majority of people. You have to be financially secure not only now but down the road. Most of us want to go to college and pass onto the world what we acknowledge. This way our voice gives others influence and a positive message for future generations. Many Americans want to pass on not only money or material things, but their success stories so that others can be in the same position. No matter who wins the Democratic nomination it will still go down as an historic moment in American history. Well, what about the Republicans? There is not much to say, it’s just an old, white, rich, American guy running like always. You have Bill Clinton on one hand defending his wife but pushing the American people away in the forefront. We should not be belligerent to the fact that Hillary Clinton did try to demonize Barack Obama and many African-Americans while criticizing Martin Luther King. She also couldn’t admit to her mistakes for voting for the war during a national Democratic debate. But we all have flaws; some even say that Barack isn’t as experienced as he should be. But young Americans lure in his path and towards his righteous passage of “yes we can.”

A record number of people have shown up at rallies and at the polls lately. But what did spark some interest were Senator Clinton’s tears at a rally upon her behalf. The campaign trail was taking a deep and emotional toll on her and the people internally felt her compassion and voted for her; therefore she won New Hampshire. But was going to that extreme extent too much? Trust me, once you’re President of the United States there are going to be much worst problems than stressful weeks on a campaign trail. It was very shocking to see Maria Shriver, the wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger backing Barack Obama. What a force of nature and an amazing speaker for the American public. But will these key endorsements help change the status quo of our governmental system? But that is not the only root problem in America. There is only one question that can be asked. At the end of the day, underneath it all, is our country more racist or sexist? Only time can tell.

"This will certify that the above work is completely original."