The Worst Thing | Teen Ink

The Worst Thing

By Rachel Trenaman BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
Rachel Trenaman BRONZE, Mason, Ohio

I find myself not understanding most things. Like the ozone layer. Really. What is it? Sure, it’s a layer of O3 that supposedly protects us from invisible ultraviolet rays that sizzle our skin, but apparently the time is coming very soon that we’ll all melt because the gaping holes in the ozone are just GAPING more than ever. Yeah. Sounds like another case of the world being flat. Maybe the scares of global warming are legitimate, but when humans are under the microscope, running around “discovering” their constantly changing “theories” and “conclusions,” it doesn’t take too close of a zoom to figure out that we really don’t know what’s going on. At all.

Considering the cluelessness of human beings, it’s even more perplexing that so many of us think we simply exist to exist. That there’s no reason for being other than to be. That life is essentially worthless. This may seem unrelated, but the reason that some of us choose to believe this is mainly because nothing else we can believe in “makes sense.”

“But where did we come from?” we plead.

“This doesn’t make sense!” we shout.

Since when does anything make sense, though? We claim we don’t believe in anything, but we believe in the worst thing. We believe in worthlessness and hopelessness and purposelessness. Anythinglessness. We believe in pity and shame and being alone. We believe in the fear that tells us to stay away from what we don’t understand. We need to see to believe it. We need to hold it in our hands and scrutinize it, dissect it, but we can’t because it’s too big and we’re too small and we’re scared.

There’s so much we don’t know. And so much to believe in. Does the universe really go on forever? How do the birds know when it’s going to rain? How is that, a dead person has all the same pieces as you and I—every single one—but there’s no way we’ll ever figure out how to make those pieces breathe again? Some things just do. Some just are. When the burning bush told Moses, “I am,” Moses didn’t ask, “How?” or “You are what?” He went to Egypt and didn’t ask any questions about how he was supposed to part the Red Sea. He didn’t understand.

He believed.

jOjOsfreakingCIRCUS GOLD, Brentwood, Tennessee

"I don't do fashion. I am fashion." -Coco Chanel

I am so amazed. This was so beautifully written and describes our generation effortlessly well.

I especially loved your dead person analogy haha. Keep it up, this article really caught my attention!

One tip I might suggest is to consider changing the title to something that will draw readers in more. "The Worst Thing" could be about essentially anything, if you know what I mean. Just throwing that out there :) Truly amazing writing.

Rachel Trenaman BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
Thanks. (:

Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Nice job. I agree that a lot of people only believe in what they can see. But it doesn't make any sense because you can't see wind, but everyone believes in wind.