Buy,Break,Throw it away | Teen Ink

Buy,Break,Throw it away

April 26, 2009
By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
55 articles 20 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss


The new “religion”
There is a new religion getting bigger every day in America. Its hostile takeover is so well disguised that you don’t realize your a member until you can’t get out. They worship a golden calf of a sort, a credit card. Instead of hearts, they have wallets. They are consumers, eating away at everything until they have no value. This materialistic lifestyle, is gaining more and more power.
The people on TV endorse it. The people on the radio, in books, in music, sing it praises without realizing it. It seeks to destroy morals, love, and Christ. It seems innocent, but is diabolical.
I was shocked when I read my Christian girl’s magazine this month. It wrote a scathing article about the media, pop culture, and popular image destroying Christianity, then had the rest of the magazine dedicated to finding the perfect jeans to fit your body. Am I the only one getting mixed signals? Is this materialism getting so big that even my religion is compromised by it?
The world is teaching us young people that you can buy happiness, success, and love. Buy this, people will love you! Buy this, he’ll ask you out! Buy this, Jesus thanks you. Buy, buy, buy. They try to buy our hearts, our minds, our emotions. But how can we stay strong in this consuming world?
While buying things is not necessarily bad, something seems wrong when our whole life is dedicated to consuming to help the economy. We buy things, make things to buy, fix broken things, and throw things away, then do it over again. Is that all life means anymore?