Are You a Judge? | Teen Ink

Are You a Judge?

November 21, 2013
By SonyaFlowers GOLD, Fort Pierce, Florida
SonyaFlowers GOLD, Fort Pierce, Florida
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Know who you are, and be it. Know what you want, and go out and get it!”
― Carroll Bryant

“Just keep breathing.”
― Thalia Anderson

“Poetry is a connection to a change within you.”
― Katerina Stoykova Klemer

“Lighten up on yourself. No one is perfect. Gently accept your humanness.”
― Deborah Day


Can you see them too? They are everywhere. People divided into their little sections. Why do we prejudge people and categorize them? Is it because they are different? If it is than I think that that isn’t a good reason to treat them differently. Being different shouldn’t feel like it’s a punishment. Everyone is unique and one of a kind. Take a look at your friends, aren’t there some things you disagree with them about. Maybe you favorite foods are different or your favorite colors aren’t the same. That’s alright, everyone is different. If everyone liked the same things, it gets pretty boring doing the same thing every time. You are you and your friends are themselves. Yet, we still hear cruel comments about others being spread, even I hear them.

One Fall day, I was at my locker unpacking my backpack and I saw my friend, Ashley heading my way. (Substituted names)
“Hey, I saw you yesterday,” she said casually.
“You did when?” I asked.
“When you were with that freak,” she answered looking around and avoiding my gaze.
“Freak? What freak? I was with Rachel the whole day; I don’t think she’s a freak.” I thought.
I can’t believe you hang out with her you should be careful, if you hang out with too much you might become a freak as well,” Ashley said.
“She isn’t a freak, she is a great friend,” I exclaimed.
“I doubt that; do see the way she acts.” She said as she laughed.
“Have you even talked to Rachel?” I asked.
“Nope, not once and I’m never going to,” she replied finally looking me in the eyes.
“Why, is there something wrong with her?” I asked.
“Yeah, she doesn’t fit in with the rest of us. I mean come on Sandra, she is so lame.” Ashley said.
“No she isn’t, she is an awesome person. How could say things like that if you haven’t even talked to her once?” I shouted.
“Alright, alright, I get it. I just thought I warned you before it was too late.” She said as left.
“Warn me about what?” I yelled.
“About your reputation.” She said without a glance back.
“There is nothing wrong with hanging out with Rachel; I mean she’s another friend. I don’t see anything wrong with her. Why do people call her freak when she isn’t one?” I thought.

After this conversation, I began to wonder who my real friends are. I mean your friends shouldn’t judge you by who you hang out with or what you wear. If they are true friends then they will accept you for who you are. Don’t try to fit in with the crowd. Let what makes you shine through. If your friends can’t accept you then maybe they aren’t really your friends. You should also accept others for who they are as well. Don’t give someone a label just because it’s cool. Get to know them better, for all you know they could make an awesome friend.

Everyone worries about being how the act or what they wear. Why? It doesn’t matter if you have designer clothes or if you are in style. You should be who you are and wear the clothes you want to wear. Have you ever had a rumor spread about you? If you have, I bet it didn’t feel too good to know people were taking behind you back and spreading lies about you. When you hear a rumor about someone, don’t spread it around just because your friends tell you to. Imagine what will happen to the person the rumor is about. You will just make their life hard and probably miserable. Not everything you hear is true, sometimes people spread lies about others just to bully them or because they think it’s cool to spread rumors. So, don’t believe everything you hear and don’t spread any of it. You might end up hurting someone if you do. Put yourself in their shoes, would you like it everyone believed everything that was said about you including the rumors that were spread. You life wouldn’t be so fun. So, don’t do it to someone else.