I Know What it’s Like. | Teen Ink

I Know What it’s Like.

April 8, 2008
By Anonymous

As I first stepped foot into the classroom, the kids started to giggle, and smirk. I was beginning to feel like I had a spotlight on me. Throughout the day, kids were calling me names: Osama Bin Laden Jr., Sadam Husain, or terrorist.


People may say that you don’t know what I’ve been through, but I have. People misjudge other people because of their ethnicity. I am thought of a terrorist because I was born in Bahrain. Even though, Bahrain is an ally nation to the U.S. People still get the perception that all Middle Eastern people are terrorists. I am Christian, and all they see is the ethnicity, not what the true heart of a person is. I come from a background of a family with a great reputation for their success, why would I go and blow myself up and ruin my family’s reputation. I have been picked on about this because of my ethnicity. People are so egotistical, just because they think that they are better than everybody else. How is this not like Auschwitz? The only difference they are from the Auschwitz, are that they are not killing the other races. The United States think that they have came a long way from slavery and segregation, but racism still exists, even thought we don’t want to admit it. Some people are still racists, but they cover it up by acting good.


I know what it feels like to be the butt of the jokes, and be picked on for 8yrs. You’d think that it gets old, but it doesn’t. I know how it feels.