Dear Peers | Teen Ink

Dear Peers MAG

By Sitav GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Sitav GOLD, Cedar Grove, New Jersey

"I studied every thing but never topped.... But today the toppers of the best universities are my employees" --Bill Gates

Dear Peers,

I used to look up to you. I used to try to get your attention. I used to want to fit in by wearing weird clothes and listening to all the lies you’d tell me. I used to laugh at jokes that weren’t funny. I used to let you copy off my tests. I used to want to be like you.

Dear Peers,

I used to get very upset when you started a rumor about me. I used to cry about it. I used to try to defend myself. I used to raise my voice, and when you didn’t listen, it would ruin my day.

Dear Peers,

I used to get angry when you cursed at me, when you cornered me and made up lies. I used to get mad when I walked into class and saw your scowls. I used to curse you back.

Dear Peers,

I used to hate the way you looked at me, as though I was less than you. I hated the way you talked about my ethnicity. It wasn’t funny. I used to insult you under my breath for being so narrow-minded. I used to tell the teachers and you’d call me a snitch.

Dear Peers,

I used to ignore what you said to me. I used selective hearing, which you called a “big word.” I stopped listening to your senseless language, without meaning, without dignity. I stopped watching you stoop lower and lower for your own self-satisfaction. And I opened my eyes.

Dear Peers,

I used to feel sorry for you. I felt bad because you couldn’t see the meaning in everything, in the little things, and in the things that mattered the most. No, you only saw dating, clothes, cliques, and texting as life, as fun, as a future. It broke my heart.

Dear Peers,

I used to laugh at you. I thought it was so funny how you would make fun of me for getting an A while you got an F. I used to spaz at the way you still couldn’t read the word complementary in the seventh grade and how you would throw library books in the garbage can. I used to smile when you talked about how great your seventh boyfriend was. And, I’ll admit, I still laugh now.

Dear Peers,

Feel free to say what you want. Feel free to do what you want. Go ahead! Make up a rumor about my secret ­Internet boyfriend. Tell everyone I’m a retard who thinks the whole world is made up of textbooks and teachers. Throw paper balls at my head while I’m reading. Shoot me with pieces of buttered bagel at lunch. And then tell me what you got out of that. Superiority? Was it fun? Do you think I’m suddenly dumber now? Has my smile gotten duller? Does my family love me any less? Did my teachers stop appreciating having me in their classes? Did I lose any inspiration? Well … I’m ­waiting.

Exactly.

jassmine BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
omg, that was amazing(: you summed up how i feel. keep writing. i loved it.

shan1196 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!

Thank You! You have basically summed up my school life. My friends and I are surrounded by kids that don't care and it brakes my heart! They feel that nothing in the world can hurt them, when in reality they are hurting them selves beyond compare! They make fun when I read for fun, and do my work. Thats not what bothers me though, they say they can't do it. They say they aren't smart enough. They don't even try so how would they know they can't do the work? Thank You this article was AMAZING! 

JDLover333 BRONZE, Wallingford, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

To be happy we can't mind too much what others think.

I liked the part where you said you laughed that they couldn't even read complementary. Some of the kids in my class tease me because I don't care at all about how I look. I wear t-shirts to school while other girls are wearing short-shorts and form-fitting tank tops. But, hey, I am in the top math group and I am getting at least B's in ALL my classes. I know what I want in life, and they are all focused on make up, boys, and looking hot. And, of course, the latest styles in Teen Vogue and stuff. I've looked at that kind of magazine once. But, guess what? I have a best friend I love, a whole group of friends who like me for me, not because I know all the latest gossip, or I have all the cool fashions. I actually enjoy school a bit, though it still gives me headaches. I loved this for what it pointed out, especially that last part. No matter what they did, I was always better then them. :3 Well, a lot of the time. 

lszyman96 said...
on Jun. 17 2010 at 11:44 am
lszyman96, Romeoville, Illinois

" stay golden ponyboy"
-the outsiders

that was amzing

AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

love this! I like the repition of dear peers especially and how it tied everythign together.

whispersofthenight GOLD, Tallahassee, Florida

I am an artist; I paint with words.

great job! Loved it. very inspiring

addicted2candy BRONZE, Little Rock, Arkansas
LOVE IT! That's what i'm talking about! We have to stand up for ourselves and have enough respect and confidence in ourselves to not let other insecure people bring us down. Kids and teenagers can be the most judgemental group of people, and most of it is due to their own insecurities. I know it can be hard to ignore, but at the end of the day what really matters is if you love yourself. If the answer to that question is "yes" then forget the haters and keep moving forward. I think your piece captures the essence of self respect beautifully. Wonderful job; never stop writing.

OMG I loved that, your words insprided me to not think just about myself but everyone but, may god bless you

Tomboy GOLD said...
Tomboy GOLD, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

"The human heart had hidden treasures; in secret kept; in silence sealed; the thoughts; the hopes; the dreams; the pleasures; whose charms were broken if revealed" - Charlotte Bronte

nice layout.  this helped me and im going to try to be more like the last note

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"If you think you can you can, and if you think you can't, you're right." -Mary Kay Ash

Dear Peers,

I teared up when I read this, because I realized sometimes I'm as strong as the last person/character you created, but sometimes I'm not. And I hate myself for that. But I know that there are people that are better than me. And I go on living.

AinsleyChernek SILVER, Eatonville, Washington
Very well written.

mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
AMAZING!!!!!!!! Pure genius.

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut

Thank.God.For.You.

Omg I wanna give you a hug, like I'm dead serious... *sighs*

I seriously... you like read my mind. Oh my goddd.... I hate it when kids are like... complementary and they butcher the word.... AGH

MoonLight said...
haha, yea i used to hear that allt he time when i was little, inspired me to speak up and write this article.

jOjOsfreakingCIRCUS GOLD, Brentwood, Tennessee

"I don't do fashion. I am fashion." -Coco Chanel

Ah. Like a breath of fresh air

peace.frog.271 BRONZE, Pinehurst, North Carolina

"Let us remember as we chase our dreams into the stars that our first responsibility is to our Earth, to our children, to ourselves." -George W. Bush

This means to me that before we let ourselves fade, we must take care of ourselves and others.

How refreshing! The layout of this "article" if it really is even considered an article, is quite interesting, and it makes me want to read more of your work. I agree with the information 100% and it's nice to see this! Thank you! :)

on Apr. 4 2010 at 9:32 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

this is an amazing and touching article!! i loved your tone and how you separated the different "stages" with "Dear Peers,". keep writing andbe special :)

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:28 am
naturelover123 BRONZE, San Francisco, California
I love the last part. Shows how senseless their actions are...they're just jealous, insecure, and want to bring you down with them.

ThatGirl.. GOLD, New Delhi, Other

Those people who say they know everything.annoy those of us who do..!

i luvvvd this article...thanx for writing it...!!

I love this article this is truly how i feel. It seems like as you get older and mature you realize why try to impress and live for others. Who arent doing anything for you. If people sont like me i dont care if people feel a certain way about me i dont care. The only peoples opnions that i care about are my true friends and families because they only try to help me succeed so kudos to you for realizing that