School Rules | Teen Ink

School Rules

By Steven Anderson BRONZE, Bellaire, Ohio
Steven Anderson BRONZE, Bellaire, Ohio

Are school rules to extreme? Do you have any freedoms that your parents had or even your old brothers or sisters? I feel the board of education has taken our rights and threw them away.

You only have three mins to get from one class to another. You have to have all cell phone and ipods put away even when you are just in a study hall with nothing better to do. You have to eat your lunch inside the building and have to eat the very few and same options they give you everyday. You have to wake up and be ready for school by 7:30 in the morning and don’t even get out until 2:30 in the afternoon. You don’t get to take classes you. You don’t get to choose the teachers you want or the teachers you don’t want. You can’t even choose between the teachers you just absolutely cannot learn anything under. But you always get stuck with the teach you dread to have.

I think we should have more field trips, and then maybe kids would be more excited for school everyday. Even if it is just a trip around the block. Or maybe have a shortened day or even 4 days out of the week instead of 5. Possibly a longer summer vacation. And instead of having our noises stuck in a book for every class, have more hands on classes for things I’m interested in for after I graduate. Have a choose in classes and teachers. If I got to choose my teachers that alone would make the school year a lot better. Let me feel that my say matters in what I do for the 12 years I’m spending in school by simply giving me a say.

If students had a say and had a little bit more freedom then I feel there would be a lot more kids excited and enthused about coming to school and possibly wanting to go to collage.

BookWorm579 PLATINUM, Elk Grove, California

"à cœur vaillant rien d’impossible [nothing is impossible to a willing heart]" -French Proverb

For one thing, a longer transition period between classes means longer school days which you say you don't want. Shorten the classes you say? Well the main purpose of these particular classes such as English and Math are to get you into college. Hands-on classes are good and all but adding in along with core classes would make the school day longer. School as it is is a good thing accomplishes its purpose with what its given. What you are asking for is a 26 hour day.