Homeschool Blues | Teen Ink

Homeschool Blues MAG

By Catie Frankland BRONZE, Jessup, Maryland
Catie Frankland BRONZE, Jessup, Maryland

I get stereotyped a lot. When I meet someone for the first time, we’ll be talking about movies, music, or summer jobs – then, the dreaded question: “So, where do you go to school?” I shift slightly. I know how they’re going to ­react. I know that they’ll give me a weird look and then find an excuse to move on, muttering a derogatory remark as they smirk at me. You see, I’m homeschooled.

This stereotype has affected me numerous times. One day, my friend and I were taking the PSAT at the local high school. The attendant found our educational choice amusing.

“Do you ever wish you could go to ­real school?” she asked.

“I do go to a real school, thank you very much.” I tried not to sound annoyed.

“You don’t get out much, do you?”

“I get out plenty.”

“Do you know what prom is?”

“Yes, I’m going to mine this spring.” I sighed thankfully as a voice boomed over the loudspeaker, signaling the start of the test.

Last summer one of my coworkers, who was in college, asked what grade I was in and what school I went to.

I ­answered. “Don’t you get tired of sitting at home all day?” she asked, blankly.

I sighed. It was too late; her view of me was already tainted. I could tell she thought I was naive and ­immature.

“So do you have any friends?” she asked.

“Of course!” My sarcastic self wanted to say something about a hermit, but I decided to stick to the facts and not let my big mouth get me in trouble.

People’s reactions are beginning to ­annoy me. I used to dread being asked where I go to school. I would do almost anything to avoid the question. I was afraid I would get stuck in the homeschooler stereotype: long hair, dresses, 16 kids in the family, never heard of Britney Spears, never been to a mall, just sit at home and knit all day. I’m not super smart, and I don’t have a learning ­disability. However, as I near the end of high school, and ­reflect on almost 10 years of being homeschooled, I realize that I shouldn’t be afraid of the stereotype; I should redefine it.

You see, I have two sisters: one is ­attending a public high school, the other goes to the local community college. I play lacrosse and basketball, and my best friend and I will be starting driver’s ed soon. One of my other close friends attends a local high school. I go the mall almost as often as I brush my teeth. I love rock music. I was shocked at Jamie Lynn’s pregnancy. I love McDonald’s double cheeseburgers and hate Starbucks coffee. I write poetry. I hate algebra. I have a MySpace. My toenails are lime-green, my hair is shoulder-length, and I want dreadlocks. I help run a coffee house for high school bands. Oh, and my best friend, who is also homeschooled, received a full Division I college scholarship for soccer.

I’m not handing out this information to prove that I am just like you; I want you to see that you are just like me. I don’t live in a different world than ­other high schoolers. I only choose to be homeschooled.

Recently a coworker asked the ­question and seemed surprised with my answer. “You’re homeschooled?” he asked, shocked. I smiled. That’s the message I want to send. I want to show them what a homeschooler is really like: any other teenage girl.

JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

Great article! (: I've never looked down on people how are homeschooled before, though. I go to a public school. I've never thought that a person who was homeschooled would be any different than a person who goes to public school...But I guess that just goes to show that some people are so biased toward certain groups and just believe the stereotype.

Jennifer_Krasinski BRONZE, Decatur, Georgia

Love hurts if you do it right; you can cry when you get older.

I love this! It almost makes me want to be homeschooled!

IluvJesus BRONZE, Stone Mountain, Georgia
I've been homeschooled my entire life and I feel the exact same way. Very well written! And so true

ShontelleSymone GOLD, New Castle, Pennsylvania

"Are you chasing your dreams? Or are your dreams chasing you?" - Michelle Phan

The cool thing is that in 5 or 10 years, 50 percent of the USA population will be homeschooled. Also, we get a better education than that of a public school kid. Its just statistics. You can look it up if you want! Plus, my school has chats and forums and stuff for the students to interact with eachother. So am I lonely?No. I just cant wait to see where I'll be in the future!

Thank you so much! I'm homeschooled too ( cyber school) and this article realy spoke to me. I left my other school to go to cyberschool and for the longest I've been begging to go back to public school because my friends.  My friends would pressure me to come back but something inside me would say "stay in homeschool". Thank you for showing that we're not all freaks!

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Awesome! Great article, really! I never thought of being home schooled as a bad thing, but now I see that some people are just biased towards public schools! :)

tagymnast224 BRONZE, Yakima, Washington

This is the important thing; that at any momonet we are prerared to give up what we are for what we could be.

-Charles Dubios

Wow this was and amazing artical. I'm home schooled too and all my friends seem to think I'm super inocent because of it. Some times people asume I have no social life and have little friends, but, do to homeschooling I have friends all over the nation

GaelicC said...
GaelicC, Longford, Other

No -Rosa Parks

Great article! I wouldn't stereotype; I'd say I'd enjoy being home schooled!

TheShadowsHaveEyes SILVER, Lansing, Michigan

How much dirt I gotta throw in the ocean to make a new island

Oh gosh, Amen. Haha

I hate how overly stereotyped Homeschoolers are. My friends and I have our little joke, we say we're not homeschoolERS, we're homeschoolED.

I  agree, we shouldn't roll our eyes or get frustrated with peoples pre biased opinions of homeschoolers. We should simply change it.

Steph10 said...
Steph10, North East, Maryland

Even heroes bleed.

Hey! I am in college now, but I was homeschooled from 1st grade through 12th. And trust me, I know exactly how that goes. I HATED telling people I was homeschooled on because I knew their reaction was going to be less than pleasant... But personally, I loved it. And I am still really happy with my past schooling experiences.  Hang in there. Eventually, it doesn't matter as much to other people. :)

rplove013 said...
rplove013, Burlington, North Carolina

Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.

I do go to public school, so I can't say I understand how you feel..but I can say that I have plenty of friends who are homeschooled and they are just like any other kid. I will say the high school experience is something I wouldn't want to miss out on..but just because someone is homeschooled doesn't make them smart, dumb, or socially inactive like people seem to believe.

This is a great article. :)

icedLips BRONZE, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Woohoo! I get homeschooled because I moved from England to Egypt, you see, and I didn't wanna start a new school so I study from books and take my IGCSEs back in England :D

People here respect homeschooled people though, they think it's awesome :D Lol.. Sorry for you, though..

Lily1 SILVER said...
Lily1 SILVER, Carbondale, Illinois

“Like you, its true treasure etched within.”-One Night With The King

yeah, same here! and I like being homeschooled...and personally I am sheltered more than most I guess, but alot of times that is a good thing...Your mind stays more clean!

Lily1 SILVER said...
Lily1 SILVER, Carbondale, Illinois

I am homeschooled too! and that was a great article. I know how you feel! Most people look at homeschoolers as either super smart, OR super dumb....but I know what you mean...Thanks for posting! :)

blueandorange GOLD, Jeffersonville, Indiana

Good article.  I am homeschooled as well.

How do you deal with the intense isolation though?

SkyDeer PLATINUM, Mebane, North Carolina

Respect the nerds, they will be your boss someday- The Computer Guy.
The best is yet to come and baby won't it be fine- A band.
Defiant is the best word in the dictionary!

Awesome Article- homeschoolers rock!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

I've never really had that problem. I've been homeschooled my entire life and have tons of friends. Most people wish they could stay home like me...mainly I get weird questions from elementary school kids...and my cousin who swears I can't graduate being homeschooled :P weirdo, but I love him! :)

morethanunusual BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey
I know so much how you feel! I've been homeschooled forever, and not once have i wished i wasn't.  In fact, alot of my public schooled friends wish they were homeschooled! 

AliceLevene BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after
- Mark Twain

I've been homeschooling for about 5 years and I'm proud of it! I let people know that, because I'm not ashamed. I have never ran into anybody who stereotyped homeschoolers though. Everyone always thinks it's cool and just wants to know more about it.

springdance BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.
Albert Einstein

I agree with you in this article, even though I'm not home schooled. People shouldn't judge someone by the group they belong to. It's like the classic stereotype that blondes are dumb. Most of us are actually quite smart! Anyone can do anything if they work hard enough.