why? | Teen Ink

why?

By OneProzacADay PLATINUM, State College, Pennsylvania
OneProzacADay PLATINUM, State College, Pennsylvania

"You are the universe expressing itself as human for a little while." -Eckhart Tolle

Why has our society been reduced to such hatred, such cruelty? the decay of our society is not the less fortunate ones who might literally look decayed. the decay of our society lies within the hearts and minds of every person who discriminates, or puts down, or rejects a group of people. the decay of our society is teenagers, even children, who bully. it is teenagers and children who call people retarded or bipolar. no matter how jokingly they mean it, it hurts to people who know mentally retarded or bipolar people, and know that they are not inferior to others. actually, they are normally better than others. because society has wrongly rejected them or mocked them, they were not sucked into the corrupted way of thinking. they have good hearts and they are genius. why people "joke" about things like that or why they even refuse to accept them is beyond me, but i would like to change that over the course of my lifetime. many others do too. people who joke about serious issues like that are so ignorant, most of them will never be informed of the hurtfulness of their words. i know that people don't take things seriously, but somehow most of society doesn't, so when some people try to do right, THEY are the outcast. society is so twisted and wrong. one of my many wishes is to heal society's wrongs and change the world for the better. i hope you agree with me and wish to change the world also.

my brother is bipolar, and when people in my school joke about it...i just get so angry with them because they don't see the seriousness of it. i fell even worse for those who are mentally retarded because the horrible slang "retarded" is much more common than jokes about bipolar. i just wish my peers could realize the pain they are causing.