Foster Frustrations | Teen Ink

Foster Frustrations

It's hard enough to bisexual in high school, but it harder to be a bisexual high school student in foster care. I know that a lot of people have a hard time telling their real parents that they’re “gay”. Try having to do it at lest twice a year to people that you don’t know very well.
The first time I told my last foster mother that I was bi she didn’t have any problem with it. So I didn’t think that my new one would either. But I was wrong. At first I was going to tell her. But a week after I got there she would say really mean things about people that I knew where gay. So I held my tongue for almost two years. Then one night she called me a wh*** and I lost it.
After telling her she didn’t say a word to me for two days. Then one night she woke me up because I had fallen asleep reading. She told me that we needed to talk.
“well I know that you are confused but you can’t be like that here.” She said in a serious voice.
“ I’m not confused about anything. I know what I’m doing is what Christians would say is wrong. But I don’t care what anyone you included thinks about of me.” I replied.
“Well you can stay here then.” She voiced with a smirk on her face.
“Well I’ll start packing” I said as I left the room.
That I felt terrible. I mean I had lived there for almost two years and she was like I don’t care any more.
For some reason after I came out every one at school was starting to talk to me. I knew the reason why but it was okay. After every thing setlleed down I was still friends with the same people. And at school I’m trying to start a gay-straight student alliance.

SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates

i am sorry your foster mom did not support you, that seems especially cold :( and the alliance idea is very cool! i hope it works out!