The Hope of Tomorrow | Teen Ink

The Hope of Tomorrow

October 29, 2008
By Wordgasm GOLD, Kingfield, Maine
Wordgasm GOLD, Kingfield, Maine
12 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it was a unicorn it would have gored you.


Have you ever noticed that people don't really become “people” until they are like 25, regardless of maturity or intellect? Until we have a certain number of years under our belts, its impossible for adults to see us as anything but kids or “teens”.

What's with this whole stereotyping teens anyway? I personally am close to the exact opposite of your stereotypical teenager (behavior wise).

Ya, I like rock music, and wear a lot of black. I skateboard and roller blade, and I eat more than a full-grown man. But I am very polite,I'm not reclusive, and I've never been in a fight in my life. I'm not a vandal, and I don't drink or do drugs. I love to read and write ,and I do really well in school.

The list of things that make me and my friends different from the “stereotypical teenager” goes on and on, but people still judge us by it. And besides, if we are “The Hope of Tomorrow” then why would we act like that today?



That saying gives me no end of grief! I mean, what's stopping us from being the hope of today? I personally can see no short-comings on our part. So that leaves us with only one viable answer, the adults are to self-centered and vain to see that many “kids” have done more than many adults can dream of accomplishing in their lifetimes. Invisible Children was started by a young person, as was the organization that inspired Oprah's' angel network. Along with many other world changing charities, and organizations.

Fill in the blank, “The youth are the hope of

Ill give you a hint. Its not tomorrow!


The author's comments:
I am home-schooled and very different from that stereotype too and that is originally what inspired me to write this article.