Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage

By Milliee SILVER, Knoxville, Tennessee
Milliee SILVER, Knoxville, Tennessee

In that basement we were exactly who we wanted to be,
rock stars and poets, artists and designers.
That basement was our haven
because when we walked up those stairs
we were just teenage kids again
with dreams that were just too big.

In the United States 3% of the people are exclusively gay and 3% are exclusively heterosexual. The majority of people admit to living their lives somewhere in the middle, enjoying varying degrees of homo & hetero sexual lifestyles. The exclusively gay population might be a small percentage of the total population. In that little segment there are a lot of emotions. Just because they are gay means today that they cannot enjoy the same freedoms that bi-sexual and heterosexual people enjoy in marriage. Everyone is entitled to their constitutional rights: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
There are some basic benefits of the traditional marriage that those of same-sex relationships (or civil unions) wish to take advantage of. Most of those benefits are legalities. For example, if one member of a gay couple that has been together for 20 years gets critically ill, visitation may not even be allowed since the other isn't considered a "spouse or immediate family member". Also, critical medical decisions must often be made when one person is incapacitated; e.g. should a certain surgery be done or not? It is completely unfair to deny these privileges to people because their relationship doesn't fit the state's definition of one. America was founded on the concept that the majority should rule, but the rights of minorities should be protected. It is the main reason we have a Bill of Rights as well as anti-slavery and equal protection amendments. Denying marriage to a homosexual couple is no different than denying marriage to Hispanic or black couples. A marriage is a relationship between two people. How does it hurt society or people not involved in the marriage? It is a personal commitment that really is no one else's business. Society shouldn't be dictating what two people can or can't do when no one else is hurt in the process. If the church or certain groups disapprove, that's their right, but it isn't their right to stop it. One of the main arguments against gay marriage is that it would further erode family values; however, the opposite is true. The problems related to sexuality in our society such as STD's stem from carefree, frivolous lifestyles; in other words, having frequent, unprotected sex with many partners. Marriage encourages people to settle down and to give up that type of lifestyle. Married people commit themselves to one partner and work to build a life together. Isn't that the type of behavior we want to encourage?
The leading argument against gay marriage is religion. There are Bible verses that clearly state that homosexuality is sin. Another claim that seems to come up when gay marriage is discussed is that homosexual relations/relationships are not biologically natural. Same-sex couples cannot naturally produce children through their union. Another popular argument is that allowing gays to marry will further degrade the already struggling institution of marriage.
. Let's try for a minute to take the religious conservatives at their word and define marriage as the Bible does. Shall we look to Abraham, the great patriarch, who slept with his servant when he discovered his beloved wife Sarah was infertile? Or to Jacob, who fathered children with four different women (two sisters and their servants)? Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon and the kings of Judah and Israel—all these fathers and heroes practiced polygamy which is also clearly defined as a sin. The New Testament model of marriage is hardly better. The apostle Paul (also single) regarded marriage as an act of last resort for those unable to contain their animal lust. "It is better to marry than to burn with passion," says the apostle, in one of the most lukewarm endorsements of a treasured institution ever uttered. Also in the Bible it says that there should only be a divorce when one or both parties are committing or have committed adultery. Fifty-percent of all marriages end in divorce in America. I seriously doubt that every time someone files for divorce it is because of adultery.Obviously, there is an overwhelming contradiction in Christian literature. Moving on, the First Amendment of the Constitution clearly states that a person's religious views or lack thereof must be protected. Marriage by the state is a secular activity; the government cannot start making laws just because a religion says they should. What's next, should we make taking the Lord's name in vain a criminal activity because Christians consider it a breaking of a commandment? As conservatives tirelessly and rightly point out, marriage is society’s most fundamental institution. To bar any class of people from marrying as they choose is an extraordinary deprivation. When not so long ago it was illegal in parts of America for blacks to marry whites, no one could claim that this was a trivial disenfranchisement. Furthermore, how can people say that same-sex marriage is illogical when there are television shows such as, “Who Wants To Marry A Multimillionaire,” and, “Flavor Of Love” ?

In conclusion, civil unions and traditional marriages are not equal. Our country is one that does not change easily; if there can not be same-sex marriage in each state then at least civil union should have the same legalities as the latter. The people of America are so wishy-washy that it is difficult to keep up with all of their rules, and nearly impossible to memorize all of their exceptions.

Milly said...

Hello! I have a few questions I hope might be answered? The men of the Bible that you pointed out, they were men, right? Doesn't that mean that they have the same sins and weaknesses as any other man or woman?

I also do not understand your statement on divorce. How does the fact that most divorces in modern times make it obvious that the Bible is inconsistant?

And with the quote from Paul, does “passion” always mean “lust”? Could it mean a heart full of love and no one to lavish it on? Maybe some people don't feel the need for a life partner, but others do?

Thank you, and I would really appreciate it if you could clear things up!

Milliee SILVER said...
Milliee SILVER, Knoxville, Tennessee

That basement was our haven
because when we walked up those stairs
we were just teenage kids again
with dreams that were just too big.

Thank you!

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Please check out my work! Comment and rate. Thank you very much!

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Great points! I agree!