The Racism Button | Teen Ink

The Racism Button

By d3nyM3nOt BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama
d3nyM3nOt BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama

I was in the mall after school one day and I saw a girl with a button on that said, “Black people are racist too”. I was appealed, disgusted, and even angry. I thought to myself, “we deserve to be”, but then I started to think and I realized no we don’t.
It is true that we were kidnapped, tortured, and enslaved but it was by individuals who lived hundreds of years ago. It does not give us the right to punish those around us today. I love my race, but it hurts me to see that my race doesn’t love others. What are we raising our children to do at school when they hear us make comments about other races? Today you can go to any playground and see African American children teasing other children because of their race. Where do YOU think that get it from?
What’s even worse is that we are even racist to our own. I have an uncle with has a Caucasian girlfriend. When we all go to the mall it isn’t the whites making the comments, it’s the blacks. At this time she is pregnant with his child and I hate to see what that child is going to go through if he/she goes to a black school. I am not saying the girl in the mall that day had a right to wear that button and I’m not saying racial discrimination against blacks doesn’t still exist. What I am saying is that we cannot expect for others to respect us if we cannot respect them. I mean really we have a black president, if that doesn’t show racial progress I don’t know what does.

What more do you want, 40 acres and a mule!

This is a piece that i wrote after seeing a disturbing button on a girl's shirt. Anyway, hopefully it will make you think like that button made me think.

Zero_K DIAMOND said...
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

Very true and well written!

-Blessed Be!

+++ZERO+++