Feedback on Women in Carriages | Teen Ink

Feedback on Women in Carriages

September 24, 2017
By mel2345 BRONZE, BROOKLYN, New York
mel2345 BRONZE, BROOKLYN, New York
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 We, as humans, rich or poor, almost never get what we desire. In “Women in Carriages,” Caroline Ullem bestows us the perspective of a lower-class woman in her lackluster home, as she watches the women she dreams to be pass by her meager window. The narrator fabricates delusions of herself enjoying the wealthy lifestyle she aims to have, while scrutinizing her own. Reading this, my heart screamed- “Just let her go to the party!”                                               
Still and all, I loved how this piece was written, the author contrasting the lives of the rich and the woman’s in the speaker’s perspective. From her visions, I could see the woman fantasizing a man whisking her away beneath the glowing lights of the ballroom, as she stands at the front of her house, despondent. In simpler words, it made me feel her pain. I felt the impression of how much she longed to be like them: the opulent, the privileged. I specifically enjoyed the part where the author describes newspapers as parasols for women like the main character. It demonstrated that the lower-class didn’t have as lavish possessions as the affluent, thus substituting them for those they were able to purchase/obtain; the newspapers were what they deemed parasols. That said, it would be awesome if the heart-wrenching Caroline Ullem was able to write another piece like this, but from the perspective of one of the ladies attending the party. The wealthy don’t exactly have perfect lives either, just lives with preferable advantages.