Feedback on Women in Carriages | Teen Ink

Feedback on Women in Carriages

By mel2345 BRONZE, BROOKLYN, New York
mel2345 BRONZE, BROOKLYN, New York

We, as humans, rich or poor, almost never get what we desire. In “Women in Carriages,” Caroline Ullem bestows us the perspective of a lower-class woman in her lackluster home, as she watches the women she dreams to be pass by her meager window. The narrator fabricates delusions of herself enjoying the wealthy lifestyle she aims to have, while scrutinizing her own. Reading this, my heart screamed- “Just let her go to the party!”                                               
Still and all, I loved how this piece was written, the author contrasting the lives of the rich and the woman’s in the speaker’s perspective. From her visions, I could see the woman fantasizing a man whisking her away beneath the glowing lights of the ballroom, as she stands at the front of her house, despondent. In simpler words, it made me feel her pain. I felt the impression of how much she longed to be like them: the opulent, the privileged. I specifically enjoyed the part where the author describes newspapers as parasols for women like the main character. It demonstrated that the lower-class didn’t have as lavish possessions as the affluent, thus substituting them for those they were able to purchase/obtain; the newspapers were what they deemed parasols. That said, it would be awesome if the heart-wrenching Caroline Ullem was able to write another piece like this, but from the perspective of one of the ladies attending the party. The wealthy don’t exactly have perfect lives either, just lives with preferable advantages.

C.S.Dogood GOLD, San Juan Capistrano, California

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.”

Hello! So I see that its been almost a year since you posted this article (and maybe 6 months since I've been on TeenInk), but I stumbled across this again and thought I should thank you. Writing "Women in Carriages" meant so much to me and it was a topic that I was so passionate about. Seeing these words made my writing feel important and validated at a time that I was unsure of it. I have no idea how you found my article or me, but thank you so much for writing about it- it means so much to me!

mel2345 BRONZE said...
mel2345 BRONZE, BROOKLYN, New York
oi u lie all the time especially in ur desc thingy

alsou BRONZE said...
alsou BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

everything will work out in the end!!!! if it's not working out, it is Not the end

I am genuinely in awe with your spectacular writing skills ms.melina

alsou BRONZE said...
alsou BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

this was so good!!!!!!!!!!!!

alsou BRONZE said...
alsou BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

THIS PIECE IS EXCEPTIONALLY AMAZING

alsou BRONZE said...
alsou BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

WOW WE LOVE TALENT