Feedback on "The Net" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Net"

By loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"The Net" by Sophie Panzer was a beautiful piece from the point of view of a woman named Mara who just experienced a heartbreak. She had tried to destroy everything that had to do with her ex-lover and she was by the ocean to drown a necklace that was given to her by the man on their anniversary. However, as she steps into the sea, she sees a creature tangled in a net which she able to let free, even though she herself is being hurt by the ropes while doing so. She places the necklace on the creature's heart once it is free and then begins to walk away. However, when she turns around one last time, the fish and the necklace had been washed away.
     This story uses amazing symbolism throughout with the fish and the necklace. When Mara is trying to set the fish free, she is also trying to set her ex-lover free so all thoughts of him are gone forever. When Mara is getting hurt by the ropes on the net as she tries to free the fish, it symbolizes how she was hurt in the relationship that she was in. Lastly, when the fish and the necklace are washed away by the ocean and she looks back at them, it shows how it was difficult for her to let go of her relationship but it has all disappeared. Overall, "The Net" traps readers in the plot and was a completely amazing piece.