Feedback on "Hunting the Elusive Donut Burger" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Hunting the Elusive Donut Burger"

October 12, 2014
By loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 5 comments

  As I was flipping through the pages of the October 2014 issue of Teen Ink, I came across a passage in the food section that caught my eye; "Hunting the Elusive Donut Burger" by Manush Mobarhan. The piece tells about how the narrator sees a food truck that has a dish called "The Classic Donut Burger". The narrator became obsessed with finding out the next time the food truck would be in town and then finally obtains a donut burger and gives vivid descriptions of its mouthwatering taste. This passage is terrifically entertaining as well as dramatic. The author explains hunting for the donut burger as if it was a journey which made the passage very interesting and enjoyable to read.
  The beginning of the passage immediately drew me in. It describes when the narrator bites into the donut burger and there is a mouthwatering description of the combinations of tastes. Manush describes the taste of the donut burger by saying, "At first, all I can taste is the sweet flavor of the glazed donut. The comes the crisp lettuce, ripe tomato, succulent bacon, juicy beef patty, melted cheese, and the refreshing sweetness of the second glazed donut." These lines were so descriptive, I could practically taste the donut burger. I also loved the layout of the text. The author starts with describing the taste of the donut burger, but then rewinds to when he first found out about it. Then he explains all the work he went through to get the donut burger and he ends with him tasting the burger and describes it with one word that sums it up: "Heaven." The ending was absolutely perfect as well as the layout of the text itself.
  This text affected me so much that, like the narrator, I started to obsess about the donut burger. I immediately searched online for a recipe for a vegetarian donut burger, went out to buy the ingredients, and will hopefully have the same experience that Manush did when he ate his "Elusive Donut Burger".