Issues Caused By Modeling | Teen Ink

Issues Caused By Modeling

May 31, 2022
By AMC2 BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
AMC2 BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine taking a lunch break after numerous hours of fitting, modeling, networking, and walking. There is food catered to you by the company but no model wants to take anything because they have to get back to work after. Instead, your manager gives you a “kit” filled with cotton balls soaked in juices or smoothies. The cotton balls force models to feel full while simultaneously restricting calories so they don't feel bloated for the upcoming hours of photoshoots. Who would have thought your weight would be the marker between success and failure. The scenarios sound unrealistic and horrific, however, for some models, it's their everyday life. Fashion industries have impractical beauty standards and the shortcuts of managers have made an unsafe work environment in which eating disorders are created. To work under such conditions to be constantly judged on your body and looks. The pressure sometimes can be crippling especially when it comes to teenagers at a young age.

 

Anorexia Among Models:


For example, model Isabelle Caro has been anorexic since the age of 13. She was just 59 pounds when she modeled for an anti-anorexia ad and died at 28 years old because of her anorexia. Young teens are being influenced by magazines and ads on their phones from skinny models causing them to not love themselves but want to be “perfect” when in reality all that matters is that they are healthy, no matter what their weight is. Some agencies have dropped models for gaining just a pound. They want them to be so skinny and this is filtering down to girls as young as 9 - 10, as mentioned in the article “Do Thin Models Warp Girls’ Body Images.“

 


Beauty Standards:

 Image body researcher Sarah Murnen professor of psychology at Kenyon College in Gambier Ohio, “reviewed 21 studies that looked at the media's effect on more than 6,000 girls, ages 10 and older, and found those who were exposed to the most fashion magazines were more likely to suffer from poor body images( Hellmich 4).”  The world is shocked by the promotion of fashion companies thinking thin and sexy is the way society should see girls or even a grown woman's body. Some beauty specialists are trying to change society so women can feel comfortable in their bodies. Katie Ford, chief executive officer of Ford models,” believes the trend next year will be to move toward more womanly figures( Hellmich 7).” Frederique van der Wal, a former Victoria's Secret model, “agrees with Ford's statement and says she's trying to include women of varying figure types in “Cover Shot”, Women come in lots of different sizes and shapes and we should encourage and celebrate that( Hellmich 7).” Given that thinness is a key requirement it is now clear that the fashion and modeling industry has created a ‘toxic’ society in which the development of eating disorders and body appearances is why fashion models are referred to as the ´body image experts’. 

 


Society:

For some women, men have been the root of their bulimia and anorexia because men like women with a small waist, small boobs, and a gym butt like the models seen on billboards. Although, the world of social media has been ‘bombed’ with body positivity issues the future policies targeting the extreme thinness in a woman's body are caused by what the world sees and feels when they look at themselves in the mirror.

 

 

 

The new generation:

The next generation of gen-Z celebrities is no better than Addison Rae and Charli D'Amelio because their whole life is about being skinny and pretty. The business of Tik Tok is being built of thin girls with loads of makeup on like Kylie cosmetics. Tik Tok stars Rae and D´Amelio have been on the late-night show with Jimmy Fallon and explained how they have gained their popularity on Tik Tok. “Influencers are no longer just categories of acting, singing, performing, and dancing. Influencers gain fame from having a fun personality, being good at makeup, educating people on different world topics and everything in between (Parish).” D'Amelio spoke out about her panic attacks and eating disorder and how they have affected her life.  She said sometimes the panic attacks get so bad she will ”cry for three days straight" and it feels like she's ”not even Charli anymore(Dodgson).“ She explains how she doesn't feel like herself, especially when she feels someone has a mean comment to say about her. In an eye-watering Instagram live stream, she spoke out about her eating disorder and how the internet has triggered her by calling her "rude," "entitled," and "ungrateful." Models and influencers have mental health problems and unhealthy behaviors even though they look different on camera. This could be caused by social media or by society itself.

 


Essential Questions: 

How has society impacted social media/celebrities?

What factors shape the way we think about our bodies?

When is it necessary to question society with how they impact influencers?

 

 

Vocabulary: 

Anorexia- is an eating disorder characterized by abnormally low body weight, an intense fear of gaining weight, and a distorted perception of weight.


Bulimia- people who secretly binge eat large amounts of food with a loss of control over the eating and then purge, trying to get rid of the extra calories in an unhealthy way by vomiting.


Influencers- a person who uses social media and has established credibility in a specific industry. 


Eating disorders- are serious, complex, and potentially life-threatening mental illnesses. They are characterized by disturbances in behaviors, thoughts, and attitudes to food, eating, and body weight or shape. 



 


The author's comments:

Hope you enjoy my writing!