Gluten Free: For Better or For Worse? | Teen Ink

Gluten Free: For Better or For Worse?

By michelledai BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey
michelledai BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey

Trust takes years to build, a second to break, and forever to repair.

You close your eyes as euphoria takes over you: the soft, chewy morsel that is unraveling in your mouth is like a symphony to all your neurological receptors and taste buds. You can’t deny the texture of the hot, yeasty goodness sticking to the back of your molars as you grind the dough into its gluteny demise. Gluten, just the name sounds sinfully delicious and decadent. So why are the masses scrambling to jump on the gluten-free bandwagon, leaving such tantalizing goodness behind?

What is gluten anyways? Gluten is the broad term for the proteins found in wheat, rye barley, and other grains. It’s the agent that allows bread to rise and become the soft, pillowy texture we’ve all come to know and love. Unfortunately, some people with Celiac disease, an autoimmune disease that causes sensitivity toward gluten, cannot enjoy it. Celiac disease is passed through genetics, but is more prevalent in those with type 1 diabetes, Down or Turner syndrome, autoimmune thyroid disease, microscopic colitis, or Addison’s disease. When gluten is ingested, the body recognizes it as foreign invaders and releases antibodies to attack it. The release of these antibodies end up damaging the lining of the small intestine, which serves as a nutrient absorber. Thus, when the lining is damaged, nutrients cannot be properly absorbed. 

Only about 1% of the population actually has Celiac disease, and about 40% of the general population carry the genes responsible for celiac disease, but most never develop the disease. According to Forbes Magazine, in 2017, about 3.1 million people across the United States followed a gluten-free diet, with 72% of them without Celiac disease. So why is gluten-free so popular? Many people claim that it gives them more energy, while others claim it is beneficial for weight-loss purposes; but should those without Celiac disease be on a gluten-free diet?

According to a study done by Doctor Gaesser and Doctor Angadi, “Despite the health claims for gluten-free eating, there is no published experimental evidence to support such claims for the general population.” Health professionals claim that whole grains are health promoting by creating a good combination of colon bacteria, which may protect the stomach from inflammatory conditions, cardiovascular disease, and even certain types of cancers. Gluten may also “play a role in blood pressure control” and “boost the immune system in humans”. Moreover, to those who claim to go gluten-free to lose weight, there is no published data to support that a gluten-free diet helps with weight loss. There have been numerous studies on patients with celiac disease that hint towards gluten-free diet and worse BMI with some of the overweight/obese individuals. Sorry, Miley Cyrus!

Going gluten-free can also be detrimental. Grabbing gluten-free bread, pasta, and cupcakes instead of the regular kinds will add more calories to your diet. Gluten-free versions of foods tend to have more sugar and sodium than their counterparts, and also make your wallet feel lighter than it should be.

So why do people, without Celiac disease, continue to stay on a gluten-free diet, despite all the pros and cons? Well, according to one study, some people continued their gluten-free diet because it simply made them “feel better”. Mentally. The study concluded that short-term exposure to gluten has been attributed to depression and other mental side effects.This calls into question whether or not gluten sensitivity without celiac disease affects the mind and the body. 

So how do we incorporate gluten into our diets? Maybe start your day off with an oatmeal! You might even feel more energetic, because grains give us food energy. Gluten can be found in many grains, such as wheat, barley, rye, and oats. They are a source of vitamin B, folic acid, niacin, and fiber. So, if you can’t stand oatmeal, maybe top it off with some fresh berries to complete it. If you’re more of the savory lover, you might fancy sourdough bread, which is more cost-effective for the nutrients you’re getting while also being easy to digest. Some seasonings like soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, contain gluten, so adding a dash or two of them to spice up your dish will both incorporate gluten and make your dish tastier. Essentially, eating foods that contain grains or are made with grains will allow you to incorporate gluten into your diet. But please, go easy on the croissants!

Sources:

Smith, Janelle. “What Is Gluten? An In-Depth Look At This Family Of Proteins: Vida Sin Gluten.” Schär, Celiac Disease Foundation, www.schaer.com/en-us/a/what-gluten.

“What Is Celiac Disease?” Celiac Disease Foundation, Celiac Disease Foundation, celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/what-is-celiac-disease/.

Tavakkoli A;Lewis SK;Tennyson CA;Lebwohl B;Green PH; “Characteristics of Patients Who Avoid Wheat and/or Gluten in the Absence of Celiac Disease.” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, U.S. National Library of Medicine, June 2014, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24374645/.

Jones, Amy L. “The Gluten-Free Diet: Fad or Necessity?” Diabetes Spectrum : a Publication of the American Diabetes Association, American Diabetes Association, May 2017, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5439366/.

Y;, Sanz. “Effects of a Gluten-Free Diet on Gut Microbiota and Immune Function in Healthy Adult Humans.” Gut Microbes, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 16 Mar. 2010, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21327021/.

Peters SL;Biesiekierski JR;Yelland GW;Muir JG;Gibson PR; “Randomised Clinical Trial: Gluten May Cause Depression in Subjects With Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity - An Exploratory Clinical Study.” Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 1 Mar. 2014, pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24689456/.

I have always been alert of the new diet trends made popular by celebrities, but I've always had a little doubt: do they actually work?