The Power of Laughter | Teen Ink

The Power of Laughter

October 23, 2008
By Tamberly Donato BRONZE, El Cajon, California
Tamberly Donato BRONZE, El Cajon, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you are down or feeling blue, the best cure is a nice cup of laughter. In many studies, this has been proven. Laughter is said to help lower stress levels, enhance oxygen intake, balance blood pressure, and just make you a much happier person.
According to Cancer Center, laughter has even become a therapeutic source. Today, more than ever, people are turning to laughter as a healing power. Cancer Center has studies that show that laughter can help boost the immune and circulatory system, stimulate the heart and lungs, improve sleep, and give a general sense of well-being. Also according to a 2005 press release from Eurekalert, laughing increases blood count and expands the inner walls of your arteries, which can help prevent heart disease.
Laughing is very contagious. With that being said, by spreading laughter it could not only be helpful yourself but also helping others around. Whether it be telling a funny joke to a stranger or just getting the giggles and making others laugh, it could spread around the benefits of laughter in everyday life.
From a personal experience, when I found out my beloved dog that I’ve had for eleven years was going to be put to sleep my boyfriend Josel cheered me right back up by making me laugh. It was very comforting having him make me laugh and to take my mind off of what was causing pain. Nothing else could have made me feel better about the situation which I was in. Laughter is a key ingredient to a happy, healthy soul.

Next time someone’s spirits fall, they can be picked right back up by spreading around the happiness laughter. When all else fails, the best thing in many situations is to laugh.