Scary Stories Around the Campfire: Introduction | Teen Ink

Scary Stories Around the Campfire: Introduction

By AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky
AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it…"

- Roald Dahl

I am a person. Yes, yes, I know. Surprise, surprise. I’m made of roughly 32.7 trillion cells and put my pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of you.

Anyway.

The point I’m trying to make is that you and I and about 7 billion other people are alive and are most definitely human at this moment in time. There are also about 8.7 million species on this planet. Just something to think about.

Speaking of the planet, it’s warming. I mean, it still snows and stuff, but that’s weather. Climate is not weather.

To be clear: Climate is not weather.

Merriam-Webster’s definition of climate:  ‘The average course or condition of the weather at a place usually over a period of years as exhibited by temperature, wind velocity, and precipitation

Merriam-Webster’s definition of weather:  ‘The state of the air and atmosphere at a particular time and place : the temperature and other outside conditions (such as rain, cloudiness, etc.) at a particular time and place

Okay...So there’s a small difference in wording. What’s that supposed to do? Amaze me?

Honestly? The funniest (actually not so funny) part of Climate Change is just how difficult it is to be scared of it. So buckle up, kids. Or, sit on a log; get comfy. The night is falling and the campfire’s burning. It’s time to tell a tale, one that’ll make it hard to sleep tonight.

This should be fun.

This is the introduction to a series of short articles, all centered around the present and future effect of climate change.