Animal Mistreatment | Teen Ink

Animal Mistreatment

By FrancesTomlinson BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
FrancesTomlinson BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"I didn't choose the fangirl life, the fangirl life chose me." -Anonymous Fangirl

She leans in close to the mirror, pulls out the black mascara wand, and with the utmost care proceeds to brush it onto her lashes. Shutting it with a “pop”, she next pulls out a dramatic dark eyeliner. She lines her eyes with black, and blinks in satisfaction. Pulling out a clear tube filled with pink gel, she slides the gloss across her lips. With a final flip of her honey-blond hair, she sashays out of her room and is off to school.

This is a typical morning for many teen girls, but they are unaware that their actions extend further than just looking attractive. By using these products, one has to buy them. When buying a product, you support the manufacturing company and its habits. But would anyone support these cosmetic brands if they knew the aftermath of their choices? Envision cute little furry bunnies foaming furiously at the mouth, bleeding from poisonous chemicals injected into their skin, convulsing in violent seizures, and finally succumbing to their painful death during the testing process of makeup ingredients. Is the sadistic painful death of these helpless creatures acceptable? The companies strive to put “Tested Safe” on their labels, but the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) does not require any of this. Most types of testing on animals involves using the chemicals in the item on animals in some way, to make sure that humans don’t suffer from negative effects. Is simply looking good worth the lives of innocent living beings?

For any decent person, the answer would be an unwavering no. Animals are injected with toxins, slathered in poisonous substances, and their basic rights violated. These are the same violations that the UN (United Nations) strives to prevent in humans! Human rights violations get everyone fired up, like the chemical weapons crisis in Syria, but animal rights violations remain hushed up by these big companies and largely in the dark. Animals have every right to be fed, watered, and cared for, just as much as humans do! Why them? Most people have grown up with the “Golden Rule”, which is basically “Treat others as you wish to be treated”. It applies to all beings, not just humans! Animal testing violates about all the morals anyone could have, so why bother?

Another fault of animal testing is that the results can be inconclusive. Rabbits, rats, mice, dogs, and cats are some of the poor creatures that suffer through these tests, and biologically speaking, they do not have similar body systems, and due to that, they don’t necessarily react the same way to chemicals as humans. Since these are ineffective, all that we are left with is wasted money, dead animals, and immeasurable amounts of pain for the animals. Is there a point to this at all?

In our modern age, there are so many alternatives to make sure your products are safe! Test them on other things, such as cloned human skin made in a lab - cruelty free. People can do their part by spreading awareness, like PETA, and making sure to steer away from products tested on animals. PETA stands for “People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals”, and they do exactly what their name says - making sure that animals get the treatment they deserve. “Cruelty free” is not actually a term meaning 100% humane, but products displaying this must somehow be cruelty free. This is not yet a legally sanctioned term, so be careful. The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics’ (CCIC) Leaping Bunny Program maintains a single, comprehensive standard for cruelty-free labeling. This makes it easier for consumers to shop for products manufactured without the use of animal testing. If you see a product with a leaping bunny on it, that shows that it is approved by the CCIC’s Leaping Bunny Program, and is 100% cruelty free. Everyone can do their part in ending animal cruelty.

As beings with morals and feelings, we humans should make it our business to fix the predicament of these unfortunate animals! Animal testing is immoral, unfair, inhumane, and ineffective! There are alternatives to animal testing, more effective, more humane alternatives, and anyone can do their part. Everyone with a heart should stop using animal tested products, for the greater good!

Animal testing is W-R-O-N-G and NO decent human being can deny it! Just putting it out there. <3