Forest Necessities | Teen Ink

Forest Necessities

October 14, 2008
By Anonymous

If I was in charge of the Idaho forest service I would save the forests. There are horrible plagues going through Idaho forests. People are not taking care of them. Bruce Babbitt once preached, “There's a basic kind of tension here. It's between those who say, clear cut this forest and reduce it to saw timber because that's an economically productive thing for me to do.” I think if I was in charge of the Idaho forests I would help save the forests and the animals.

The first thing that I would do would be to plant more trees. I think that the logging industry has gone way overboard. The best coarse of action would be to have the logging business have to plant 3 trees for every tree that they have or will cut down. I think that would help global warming a little bit.
The second and probably the most important thing to do would be to try to control the forest fires in the area. They have killed and destroyed a lot of forests in the past 10 years. They also cause the Treasure Valley to fill up with smog. It’s just a really bad time. So plan would be to have some parts of the forests to have anti fire barriers. So that when it got to the wall it would stop there. I would also create more fire fighter training camps, because some of the fire fighters that fight the forests fires are volunteers.
Finally, another big problem is the effect of bark beetles. They are one of the biggest nuisances in the forests these days. They have eaten away too many trees. I think that I would crack down on that by having annual spray of anti-bark beetle spray, like they do for the mosquitoes.
I think there would be a lot of changes if I as in charge of the Idaho forests. People should take better care of the Idaho forests then using them as a dumpster. Can you believe them?