Our World | Teen Ink

Our World

May 8, 2008
By Anonymous

As the World Turns, such a great soap, right? Well the world will not be turning much longer if we keep treating it like this. Our natural resources are being depleted like there's no tomorrow and we are not doing anything about it. Even our race is being affected. Cancer rates have skyrocketed, pollution is so thick that you could cut it with a knife and we are to blame. If something is not done soon, we will have no future.
In a fifth grade science class, you can sit in and learn about our earth. It seems that sometimes our world's youth know more about the dangers of our actions than our world leaders do. These kids could tell you in an instant that we are hurting ourselves. Most scientists say that this is just a stage in the Earth's cycle. I think not. Did you know that the country of France is producing just about 50 percent of the world's pollution? It comes from two 1000 megawatt coal power plants that are running a 1000 megawatt nuclear power plant. That's what I call an unnecesary risk. Not only are the plants producing hazardous fumes, the plant they are providing for is production NUCLEAR waste. Fifty percent of Earth's pollution can be avoided by shutting down these plants. It is not a question of if, it is a question of when.
Not only are we destroying our planet, we are destroying ourselves with this reckless behavior. International society has come to a halt. Every major international event is being basically shut down. The Olympics, for example, are being held in China. So many countries are boycotting these Olympics for health reasons. The main runner from Kenya is so afraid that his health will not only suffer, but be ruined by the Chinese atmosphere that he is not participating. If this continues, our relations with others will come to a standstill and we will become a hermit race.
It is completely crazy to think that these things will get better on their own. We have to do something. That something can start with today's youth. We need to get involved and try to do our part. If the world can see young people saving themselves, every generation will follow in our footsteps. We have the most time left on this planet; therefore, we have the most influence. Let's use it.