Our Messed Up World | Teen Ink

Our Messed Up World

June 6, 2010
By horsegirl27 GOLD, Los Angeles, California
horsegirl27 GOLD, Los Angeles, California
11 articles 5 photos 129 comments

Favorite Quote:
A dog comes when called; a cat takes a message and gets back to you


So, I was just watching "The Cove", a documentary about how in Taiji, Japan, people brutaly kill dolphins for profit and yet citizens don't know that. Anyway, I have always been an animal lover but after I watched this documentary (which really isn't boring because they are spies who get in fights so capture footage on the illegal project) I was in complete awe in what people do! The main people in the movie are always on the look out and have proven much stuff. For instance, it proven that dolphins have a extremely high amount of mercury in them because they are at the top of the food chain. Mercury is extraordinarily horrible for humans. People know this. But they still buy dolphin. Why? BECAUSE THEY PACAGE THEM SAYING THEY ARE FISH! They totally cheat the people! Also, in Sea World and other fanatic places, they give dolphins and whales steroids so they stay active in shows. I personally think that is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting! There once was a movie or television show called Flipper, and it was started by a guy that was in "The Cove". People started holding dolphins in captivity because of it. The guy, whose name is Ric, had the dolphin as a pet after the show was over. After a while, he could see that the dolphin was getting depressed but still kept it in captivity. Then, one day, he went out and got in the water with it, the dolphin took one last breathe, swam into his arms, and died. The dolphin committed suicide. You see, dolphins can control their breathing. They are always conscious. They sleep with an eye open, stay in packs, and take turns keeping guard. The dolphin purposely didn't take another breathe. That is why Ric started this undercover mission to reveal the truth about dolphins. It just sickens me to watch. You see blood in the movie and everything. Although it is sad, I encourage everyone to watch it.