Resources + Tips for Sustainable Clothing | Teen Ink

Resources + Tips for Sustainable Clothing

By hanshopee GOLD, San Diego, California
hanshopee GOLD, San Diego, California

One resource I love is the website GoodOnYou. It rates brands on their sustainability using a five star scale based on its effects on the planet, its labour practices, and its animal practices. GoodOnYou emphasizes transparency of practices and investigates the actual sustainability of a brand, not just what the brand states. They look for concrete evidence of good practices in order to inform consumers on their purchases. The easy-to-use platform provides consumers with information on the brands they buy succinctly and in a way that is easy to understand.

To be honest, sustainable fashion can be hard. It can be difficult to find sustainable and ethical brands that are certified and fact checked. To add on to this issue, sustainable fashion can also be expensive due to the fact that they practice sustainable production and pay their workers a living wage in good working conditions. But, this can be combatted through a variety of different methods while still being stylish.

Through the process of dressing more sustainably, you can be kinder to the earth, those around you, and your wallet. Even if it may not feel like you are making a big difference, every little bit counts. Stay informed on practices of sustainability, or lack thereof, by watching documentaries, listening to podcasts, or just looking at infographics on Instagram. One documentary to watch that explores the unethical working conditions in the Rana Plaza is “The True Cost”. One podcast to listen to is “Good Together: Ethical, Eco-Friendly, Sustainable Living”, which explores all areas of living sustainably and recently posted an episode titled, “How to (Finally!) Break Up with Fast Fashion for Good”.

Some of the best sustainable fashion brands include Pact, Reformation, Patagonia, and Girlfriend Collective. These companies have all made the commitment to sustainable and ethical production through the entire production process. The dedication these brands show should act as a model to fast fashion brands and are a great place to buy sustainable pieces from. Continually working towards a more sustainable fashion industry should be the #1 goal of every designer, marketer, and CEO in the industry. Although this has not yet happened, continual activism and sustainable living will push this goal forward, hopefully to a more sustainable future!

Hope is a 17 year old student from Southern California. This article was written in a three-part series on sustainability in the fashion industry.