Camp Lookout | Teen Ink

Camp Lookout

By Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York
Nated315 DIAMOND, Georgetown, New York

Truth has many shades. It's not a matter of black and white, but many grays.

I am a member of the Morrisville LEO'S club, a volunteer organization for high school students. We do things such as can and bottle drives, helping old ladies move heavy objects around her house, ringing bells for the salvation army, and helping people rebuild after natural disasters. We also set up a food pantry at our school because there are people who go hungry at night in our community.

All of those are fun and dandy, but the biggest project that I have had the privelage to participate in was the Camp Lookout Clean up project.

Camp Lookout is a camp that kids can go for free for a week and escape any and all worries at home. Camp Lookout provides a place to let loose and have the time of your lives while discovering that you are worth something.

I went there as a kid, and I feel that it changed me for the better. So, when the oppurtunity to give back to a place that I hold dear to me, I jumped on the oppurtunity without a second thought or moment's hesitation.

The camp needed to be painted in some areas, disinfected, and trails needed to be weeded and mulched.

Last year, I spent three days at the camp, working on cleaning it up and putting my heart into it. The kids weren't there, so it was erie and quiet.

Later, during the summer, I got the chance to volunteer as a councelor in training(CIT), and that's when I saw what difference that our club has made.

Kids were laughing, walking the trails, singing, doing arts and crafts and swimming in the lake. They were happy and some of my campers told me that this camp is their home, and they love it there.

We made it possible to have campers there, campers who really got to have the times of their lives, even though they may be growing up in total poverty at home.