Community Service | Teen Ink

Community Service

What do I do to make my community a better place? Well for starters, I am in Girl Scouts. I also ride horses, I have been riding for about six years and I obviously like it a lot. The barn that I ride at is also a Girl Scout camp, and when you get to a certain age, you can become a Program Aide. In order to become a Program Aide, you need o be a Girl Scout and you also have to take two classes in a building that are about four hours each and they teach you how to deal with younger kids because when you become a Program Aide, you help other people, such as other troops or, in my case, riding lessons. Once you take the two classes in a building, then if you are going to be an Equestrian Aide, which is when you go and help out in a barn, you have to go to the Girl Scout Camp's equestrian center and spend the weekend in a cabin, then every day, you will have to go down to the stables and then they teach you how to work with all of the horses and other various animals that they have and then they tell you about how they do their lessons and you will be able to do some hands-on activities, such as riding, you will be assigned a partner, and you will have a horse between the two of you and then one of you will get on the horse and the other one will be your aide. The aide will make sure that you are sitting right in the horse and that you are doing everything right, then you will switch. After all of this training, you will be able to help out at the barn with lessons and helping take care of the
I have been to this particular barn many times and I have helped out with lessons and I really enjoy it. I have a lot of fun helping other kids ride horses, and I also have a good time seeing all of the horses that I ride when I come for my lessons. I really love helping kids do such fun things, and the best part of it is, is that I am helping kids get to the point of where if they really wanted to, they could be able to do some of the things that I do when I ride. It makes me very happy to see kids, with dreams as big as mine, work to make those dreams come true; it makes me smile from ear to ear.

I just want you to know that I really love what I do to help make my community a better place and I love helping kid's dreams come true.