Why is Community Service important to me? | Teen Ink

Why is Community Service important to me?

By Sar_liz GOLD, Warren, Michigan
Sar_liz GOLD, Warren, Michigan

Community Service is important for many reasons. Taking part and volunteering teaches compassion and understanding. One of my favorite things about community service is that there are opportunities and choices right in your very neighborhood. You can volunteer for something you really believe and have an interest in, and can volunteer as much or as little as you'd like or have time for.

When I was younger I volunteered for a nearby animal shelter. At first I didn't know many people there and wasn't very enthusiastic. Later, as I got to know the animals and staff members I learned to enjoy and relish my time there. It was a very rewarding experience and I got to do many things I wouldn't of had an opportunity to do otherwise.

Sometimes when I'd come in to volunteer I would see other kids taking part. Most of them were volunteering because they needed service hours for school. These kids sometimes just sat around waiting for their time to pass and not enjoying the experiences that the shelter had to offer. Other students I saw there even after they had completed their hours for school. They had enjoyed their experience and wanted to do more for the shelter.

Not only is community service fun and rewarding, it also looks great on a resume or college application. Sometimes community service is even required for high school graduation. Last year in my life skills class my teacher often talked about community service and making a difference. One of papers we had to write was about if we thought requiring students at a university to complete 75 hours of community service was a good idea. I agreed with it and wrote ”As far as 75 hours go, I don't think that is too much as long as you give the students enough time to complete it. As well as allow them to pick from a variety of locations for their service.” I felt that it was a good idea not just for the sake of a well-rounded individual but also because I feel that everyone should give back.

As I move through life I think I will always be involved in community service. Not just because I think it is important but because it is something I enjoy and look forward to. I love bringing joy and through community service I feel I can accomplish that. I hope that this paper inspires you to go out in your community and make a difference. I hope I have encouraged you to volunteer your time, even if your reward is only a wag, lick, or smile

Deajhane12 said...
Really??
What did u say in the essay

Deajhane12 said...
Really??
What did u say in the essay

JohnRuiz SILVER, Sacramento, California
Wow makes me want to think about my community

Imscrewed said...
Lol im doing this shit now and its due in less that 12 hours

searching said...
Thank you for writing this invaluable resource. As an educator, it is sometimes hard to motivate students to do community service. Hearing about it from a teen peer is much more effective than hearing it from me!

im doing that now.

_heyitspaola said...
_heyitspaola, Miami Gardens, Florida

What goes around comes back around

Ayee I did the same with this for JROTC essay contest

JROTC said...
thank you for this amazing essay. I used it as a template to wright my own for the JROTC essay contest

mspineapple said...
yes i bet u could do it in 3rd person so yeah as long as its using other characters

Focusing yo said...
can you do that essay in third person?  

on Dec. 3 2013 at 8:42 am
really good i definately appreciete it keep it up   

its amazing and really inspiring