A Rewarding Experience | Teen Ink

A Rewarding Experience

By Emily Johnston BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Emily Johnston BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Vaclav Havel once said, “Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed.” His words are a model to many because people should not help others for fame or a physical reward, but help them for the satisfaction of knowing he or she did a good deed. The deeds I perform do not seem helpful to me, but to the people I help, they seem like a miracle. I have given clothes and money to the poor several times, but one time in particular stands out. When I was ten, I was riding in the car on the way to the Mall of Louisiana when I saw a homeless man standing on the street. He seemed so helpless, shoddy and run-down from his hard life on the streets. When my mom and I stopped at a red light, I handed him twenty dollars. Twenty dollars was not much, but when I handed him the money, he smiled from ear to ear and said thank you. I knew I had done a good deed because I felt in my heart a very rewarding feeling. I smiled the whole way to the mall, knowing that such a small amount of money could help this man buy food for a few nights, and also knowing that he felt gratitude for such a small amount. This experience made me want to help more homeless people by giving money. John Wesley said, “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.” Now, the words of Wesley keep me determined to do good deeds.