Working with Casas Por Cristo | Teen Ink

Working with Casas Por Cristo

November 5, 2007
By Anonymous

This year, I spent my Spring Break, as well as my 15th birthday, in Mexico with my youth group.Every year,our youth group goes to Mexico during Spring Break and teams up with an organization called Casas Por Cristo and builds a house for a family.This was my first time going and I was so amazed at how different the Mexican culture was from ours.When we arrived in Mexico,I couldn't wait to get started!We started out by putting together and laying down the house's foundation.We had a cement truck this year.We started putting together the walls,roof,and the U-joints.Once we put the walls up,we put black-board over the frame.Then we did insulation and chicken wire.I had to help with the chicken wire,because the insulation would have triggered my asthma.While we were doing the chicken wire,I hit my thumb so many times.Then we started sifting sand to get the rocks out.We then mixed the sand with water to make stucco.The stucco was hard for me to do,mostly because I had never done this kind of thing before.I got to paint the window and door frames with my friend Heather(I now have what I call my "Mexico Jeans" because they have green paint on them).On the last day,we dedicated the house.One of our youth members handed the keys to the family.Handing over the keys was probably the most emotional part of the whole trip.We all signed a Spanish/English Bible for the family.I loved the fact that I had just made a HUGE impact on a family's life.I can't wait to go back next year!You can't truly appreciate everything you have until you don't have access to them.