You Are Not Alone | Teen Ink

You Are Not Alone

I love you.

No, don’t turn your head away. Look, at me, and believe me. Believe me when I say that I love you.

How do I know I love you, you ask? I’ve never met you. How can I love you? I know nothing about you.

But it is there, my dear reader, that you are wrong.

I know you more than you think. Perhaps I do not know your name, or the color of your eyes. Perhaps I cannot know what language you speak or how you speak it. I can’t know, perhaps, if you write or draw or sing. But these are mere details. You are a stranger, but I know enough.

I know you are a human. You’ve got a brain, you’ve got a beating heart. I know you have feelings, both physical and emotional. I know that you hurt. I know that you smile. I know that you love. I know that you cry.

I know you have faults. You are not perfect. Maybe you struggle in math, or in English, or science. Maybe you have trouble talking to people, difficulty making friends. Perhaps you have a crooked nose, or are a little overweight, or a lot. Perhaps sometimes you speak harshly, are mean or cruel to people, cannot think of ways to express your emotions but in rage. Maybe you are too sensitive, and cry easily. Maybe you are not sensitive enough, and cannot see the fine line between a joke and an insult. Whatever your flaws are, you have them. I know you have them. We all have them.

I also know these flaws don’t matter. You may lay awake at night wishing you could do calculus like the geniuses your school overflows with, or that you could be as slim and gorgeous as the models filling the magazines. Even if you try to stuff your bra because you feel your body is unappealing, or speak quietly because you are scared to say the wrong thing, or shy away from people because you’re terrified they might discover your secrets, it doesn’t matter. You are human. You have flaws. Everyone has flaws. I know you have flaws, and I love you for them.

I know you have a heart. No matter how strongly or weakly you may feel emotions, they are there. I know you feel compassion. I know that even if you consider yourself to be tough or insensitive, you cannot watch a child cry. I know that you feel remorse, you feel guilt. I know that no matter what the outer layer says, you are a good person deep inside.

I know you’ve felt insecure. We’ve all felt insecure. You have flaws, and sometimes you hate them. But sometimes, the flaws aren’t what counts.

I know that I love you.

If you’ve ever felt lonely or worthless, know that I love you. Take comfort in the fact that I love you. Without a trace of doubt in my heart, I love you and care for you. I want you to be happy and live a good life. I truly care for you.

I may be as far away as another continent, or as close as your next door neighbor. I love you nonetheless.

And you know what else?

I’m not the only one.

You don’t know it. But I’m not the only one.

No matter how distant they may act, no matter what they say to you. They love you.

Maybe they are a parent, or teacher, or secret admirer. Maybe a sibling or tutor or simply a friend. But they love you.

Never assume you are alone. There are more people that love you than you could ever imagine.

I love you

God loves you

They love you.

Life is full of bullying, but life is also full of love.

I want everyone to know they are loved.

No matter who they are, I want them to know they are loved, by somebody, anybody.

A friend. A peer. A stranger. By God. Somebody. There is always somebody.