Drown | Teen Ink

Drown MAG

By Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota

Do you know what a drowning person looks like? I can tell you – it's not flailing and screaming. The person goes down slowly and quietly. He flails, but not visibly. Then he slowly slips under.

The truth is, people drown every day, and not just in water. First comes the stress. Homework, relationships, work, changes. It weakens them little by little. Then someone makes fun of them, sneers at them for no reason, tells them they'd be better off dead. Dead. They sink lower. They start reaching out for something to grab. But then they start to consider it. If they really did die, who would cry? Who would even notice? Who would miss them? What have they done that people would remember? These thoughts lead to depression, and they go completely under. All the stress hurts them. Damages them. And their mind focuses on one line of thinking. I don't matter. Everyone hates me. I can't do anything good.

A captain on a snorkeling ship has to watch. It's his job to check and see that everybody's okay. He can recognize the signs that someone is drowning. What about you? Look around. Do you notice someone who seems to be struggling? Reach out and give her a hand. Or are you embarrassed to associate with people who are not in your “crowd”? Do you think the captain would let someone die because he was afraid to get his clothes wet? No. But the real question is …

Would you?

This was inspired after reading drowning signs from a Reader's Digest. I knew them before, but the connection from drowning to real life came from...probably somewhere. But that's besides the point. I hope people choose to leave their bubble and look for drowning people.

on Feb. 25 2012 at 8:54 am
Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
Thanks star. ;)

on Feb. 25 2012 at 8:30 am
starbucks_queen21 BRONZE, Belmont, New Hampshire

"Strength is nothing more than how well you hide the pain!"

Wow! This was really really good! I liked it a lot!! :) I can also relate to parts of it. Great Job! :)

Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
Just as a reminder, those who comment will not be forgotten. I'll read some of your stuff as well! It's a win-win for everyone.

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Interesting article . . . . I read the RD article too, which I think is interesting, as most people don't actually know what drowning is, and although they think they do ,if something happens people might die because of their misconceptions- an important point to be addressed.