What is Compassion? | Teen Ink

What is Compassion?

December 4, 2013
By briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."


What is Compassion?
com·pas·sion [kuhm-pash-uhn]
noun 1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. (Dictionary.com)


Nothing ever really stops with thinking. I believe (as many others do) that you must act to fulfill that feeling of compassion. About a year ago, when I was walking down the busy streets of New York, I turned the corner and saw a homeless person sitting on the corner. My parents had been brought up to never give money to homeless people—they might use it for the wrong reasons. So they walked right past him. But at church, my pastor had taught me to never ignore a person in need. For some reason, my pastor’s words had affected me more than my parents’ words. So I demanded that my parents stop for a second so I could give him some of the change in my pocket, but they dragged me right along.

Another time, was also in New York City, we were walking along the streets near Broadway when I saw a woman with crutches sitting on the curb begging for money. Because I didn't want to be defied by my parents like last time, I fought and fought with them until reluctantly, they allowed me to give the woman money. When I put that one dollar in the woman’s cup, she immediately said, “Thank you so much. May God bless you.” At that moment I thought, how can people just ignore others like this woman—homeless and in need? If we all have feelings, how can we walk past them as if they aren't even there?

In school just last week, my Language Arts teacher made us showed us a TED video about, of all things, compassion. The speaker told a story about himself and another man. He had been walking through the subway during rush hour when suddenly he saw a man slumped down on the stairs. No one was stopping to help him or check on him. They were just walking around him or stepping over him like he wasn’t even there. The speaker hurried over to check on the man and as soon as he crouched down to check on him, people immediately surrounded him. Some people went to buy water and drinks. Others went to buy hotdogs and hamburgers. All it took was a few sips of water and a hotdog for the man to get up and start talking. Apparently he was from Mexico and had run out of money so he couldn’t eat or drink anything. He had been dying from dehydration when the TED speaker found him.

We humans love to follow others. All it takes is one brave leader to step up and be a good example for others to follow. Even if you think something is not worth worrying about, show compassion and love. It may make a big difference!

My parents and I have many different beliefs. One of the beliefs we fight about the most is acting out of compassion. From those experiences (and many others) in New York City, I have learned that nothing should stop you from helping others. I have also learned that if you feel as if you should help, don’t be afraid! It’s always worth something. Like the TED speaker, stop and act.

Compassion is not only feeling badly and wanting to help; it is also acting. Acting is simply taking the feeling and showing it physically. Is it that hard? Is it so hard that people can’t take one second to stop and give a dollar, maybe two dollars to a homeless person? We are so immersed in our own thoughts that we can’t think about anything else while we do something for ourselves. Will you be the one who ignores needy people? Or will you be the one who helps save lives today?


The author's comments:
Hi guys! Please comment about what you think about this piece. I would love to read them!

~Brianne