My fathers belt | Teen Ink

My fathers belt

June 28, 2015
By Courtster103 BRONZE, Walla Walla, Washington
Courtster103 BRONZE, Walla Walla, Washington
1 article 23 photos 28 comments

I was sitting in my room looking out the window and watching the trees swaying in the wind. I heard the all too familiar footsteps of my father. He slammed open my door, belt in hand, with both fists clenched. I felt the fear settle into my guy and my heart, as I looked into the eyes of the man who was my father and saw nothing but drunken anger. Not this time. I was done with his abuse. As he swung the belt to my face I ducked and leaped forward, launching myself behind him. I pushed him on the bed and ran out of the room, slamming the door behind me. My mind was racing, but not as fast as my legs. I ran and ran, through the house, out the door, and right into the forest.
Using my hands to shield my face of low hanging branches, I ran faster and harder, tripping on rocks and tree roots all the while listening to my fathers angered voice behind me. At first I could hear his steps, hot on my heels but now his screams had slowly faded, I didn’t know how far I had ran or for how long, but I did know that it was dark, I was tired and hungry, and I was completely alone.
I couldn’t go back home. Father would kill me, literally. So I sat down and pulled my knees to my chest and set my head between them. My silent tears soon came to trembling sobs. There was no sign of it ending. I let out every last tear, of pain and anger. I even punched a few trees leaving my knuckles to begin bruising. After hours of crying I looked up at the sky. Seeing the stars burn through the blackness above and the full moon shining down on my face. I settled into a tree roots and used my jacket as a blanket. As my eyes grew heavy and my mind slowly went blank I realized that for once, I was safe from my father. At least for a little bit. Until tomorrow. I have to go home of course, I would have to face my father and his belt. I thought in my mind, maybe, just maybe, I didn’t have to go home. Maybe I could run away, search for a new journey. Fulfill my dreams. Be safe and away from my father. One day I thought to myself. One marvelous day.


The author's comments:

I wrote this as an entry task for school one day but im thinking of taking it somewhere more. Let me know what you think