The Otterbein | Teen Ink

The Otterbein

December 1, 2008
By Anonymous

The sun began to set, and the old town of Windspear grew dark as the last bit of light vanished from the sky. Down off of Hillcrest Street, the old Otterbein cemetery is overtaken with an eerie silence. The giant, rusty gate that leads into the graveyard creeks on its hinges, and a crow in a nearby tree cries out, as if to warn intruders. Suddenly, a gust of wind blows by, and lifts the fallen leaves up from the ground, creating a circular pattern around some of the hedge stones. The wind allows the branches on the trees to sway back and forth, while something in the distance scurries by. Clouds roll through the sky, and for a slight moment the moon shines, and cuts through the darkness of the night. The path through the graveyard is over grown with brush, and most of the hedge stones are covered as well. The stones date back to the early 18th century, but are washed over from time and weather. A low whisper fills the air, almost a non-human sound. It seems to inform intruders to stay back and go away. The Otterbein Cemetery is not a place for visitors, not anymore. Some have tried to spend their evenings here, but were too frightened to stay for the whole night. Things have happened in this cemetery that are unexplainable. The graveyard has not been in use since the early 20th century, although, some say that on a clear night, they can hear strange voices coming from inside the locked Otterbein.