The Creation of Monsters | Teen Ink

The Creation of Monsters

By Kailuasurfer GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii
Kailuasurfer GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii

I sat on the mossy bench as still as could be. Dew soaked the cuffs of my jeans. The forest harbored moisture from the morning's rain. A slight mist hid the ground, making you unsure of your step. In front of me I could see the rusting jungle gym. The swings swung absently. The slide had a large hole in the middle and the monkey bars were far and few between. The lookout point seemed ghostly in its abandoned state. Weeds ate at the feet of the structure.   
He came up from behind me. Twigs cracked under his shoes, much like his victims necks.
Breathe in.
Breathe out.
"Hello Darling," he said slowly as he sat next to me. I looked at him. His salt and pepper hair was more salt than pepper, but his goatee was all pepper. There were wrinkles around his mouth showing all the times of disappointment and dissatisfaction. Much like the twigs, I'm sure when dissatisfaction came to him, necks snapped. He wore a tailored, three piece suit.
"I trust you've been well?"
Feigning interest? As if he cared. I looked in his electric blue eyes and I couldn't stand to see how bitterly cold they were.
I stood up quickly and said, "Nice location, I didn't realize you were so sentimental. That you cared so much for the past." My calm facade cracked a bit. I needed to stay as firm as possible; I could show no weakness. In light of that, I stopped taking the nervous little steps and looked straight at him.

"The past is everything, Amelia. It shows us what will happen in the future. It shows us people’s weaknesses and patterns. It tells us what we need to be prepared for."
"Why did you want to meet with me, Jasper? Get to the point. Surely you didn't summon me for a walk down memory lane." Jasper's lips pursed.
"Why so formal, sweetheart? Is 'Dad' no longer suitable?" Jasper got up and walked towards me. He pushed a piece of fallen hair behind my ear. I took a step away from him.
"Fathers are supposed to care for their children," I spat. "You care for no one but yourself. You're a monster," I accused. The feigned interest and love for me evaporated from his face. He started walking in slow circles around me, like a shark.
"Monsters aren't born, sweetie, they're created. I became this way for our family."
I let out a curt laugh. “Well we didn't ask you to do this! We never wanted anything to do with this!"
"I became this way for you and your sisters. This was all for you!" He shouted.
"Yeah, I'm sure Rosie and Justice really appreciate that from the grave!" I shouted. "The shallow graves that you dug for them!" My breath caught. I heard Jasper stop walking; he stood behind me. Not wanting to be stabbed, I turned around. My father looked hesitant, and then something I've never seen on him before.
Regret.
A silence falls over us. 
"Yes, I- I'm sorry for that Amelia. Did I ever apologize for that?" Jasper paused for a moment. He looked ashamed. "I'm sorry Amelia. But you must know I never wanted that to happen. As I said before, I did this for our family. I never wanted the three of you to get hurt."
"Why did you want to meet? Why here?" I didn't want to be here with him. I wanted him to get to the point.
"I came to ask for something that is clearly not going to happen."
"I'm surprised that would stop you." I say tersely.
"Every man knows the tipping point and when something just isn't going to happen.” He looked at me, as if weighing what my reaction would be if he were to continue.    
I stood as still as I could. Jasper turned and headed towards the parking lot, leaving me with wet cheeks in my happiest childhood park.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences